Views
Helpful
Replies

efficient solution for checking SSID availability

roberto1234
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community
I'm facing the challenge that every time our board of directors holds their meeting,
someone needs to be on-site to check the SSID and then log in locally with a laptop to test the functionality.
Do you have any ideas if there's a way to address this within the DNA Center without the need for physical presence on-site?
I'm aware of the Cisco Aironet Active Sensor, but unfortunately, it's reached its end of sale.

Thank you for your assistance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

exactly that is Why i suggest to configure an accesspoint with the same SSID on a location other than the meeting rooms
if you place it at the helpdesk for instance, they can test if the WLAN behaves normally
this test is a good representation of the WLAN functioning correctly
if and in addition you can monitor  the WLAN is present in the meeting room, it will work there also

if your concern is that the board of directors  demands testing on-site,  you need to test on-site
(that is testing remotely will not be accepted by the board) 

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Position a wireless client in the boardroom PERMANENTLY.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you can still add an access point in monitor mode ?
this cannot perform association tests, but it can  monitor the presence of the SSID

you can test the SSID for functionality by enabling it on an access point on a manned-location
both access point must have joined the same controller and the SSID must configured correctly (same tags configured)
maybe central switching (CAPWAP tunnel to the controller) is more representative than  Flex mode (vlan to local switchport)

roberto1234
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately, only checking that the SSID is present is not enough. It must also be checked that the connection works.
On that floor we only have meeting rooms, so no one there who can test

@roberto1234 wrote:

Unfortunately, only checking that the SSID is present is not enough. It must also be checked that the connection works.
On that floor we only have meeting rooms, so no one there who can test

Put a wireless client in the room permanently.  

1.  Go to a pawnshop and look for an iPod Touch. 
2.  Get a wireless charger stand. 
3.  Configure the iPod Touch to WiFi
4.  Use Apple Music and stream music continuously.  

and how do I know, from remote, that the connected iPod is working/streaming music?

ipod is just an example,
if you've got money to spend you can buy a tool like Netally Airchheck G3
 WiFi Spectrum Analyzer - AirCheck G3 PRO | NetAlly
this tool can be remotely controlled through wired connection and test the Wireless network

I would not call this an efficient solution, because this tool  can do more than you need 

@JPavonM@pieterh

That's not a solution. 

The room in question is the CEO's private meeting room.  No low-level "techie" will be allowed anywhere near it much alone install an ugly looking WiFi analyzer.  

Hi @Leo Laohoo , you do have a valid point there!

but then that goes for any monitoring equipment, even the permanent wireless client.

from this point of view the only way to do the check is on-site.
and the person with his devices to perform the checks must have leave the room before the CEO/board enters.
and only the personal devices of the CEO/board will be present in the room

Nah.  

Every time we get a call about "WiFi issues", the Aircheck and SideKick stays in the car as a backup. 

Most of the time, the issue is solved by just going to the location where the issue is occurring and asking the staff to bring out their personal smartphone.  Doing WiFi phone-to-phone video calls, like FaceTime, as a demo in front of the staff is a very good indication about the health of the WiFi.  Do that demo to one or two staff at the site and they start becoming "experts" in diagnosing if the issue is really WiFi or not. 

Now, if I apply the same principle to this CEO, every man-and-his-friend knows an Apple product.  Unless the CEO has been hiding under a rock, he will also know that Apple devices are really good indicators of WiFi health.  Live streaming Apple Music or FaceTime video calls using WiFi will demonstrate to the CEO that WiFi is working.  

@roberto1234 wrote:

and how do I know, from remote, that the connected iPod is working/streaming music?

In the WLC, there is a feature called AVC.  

Having such deep information about the Apps in use on the client device is difficult to know in real-time, unless you would be using a local firewall with L7 capabilities. cisco AVC does not provide you information in real-time, and only  having a remote Mic on the room would let you know. (or support on local FTS)

exactly that is Why i suggest to configure an accesspoint with the same SSID on a location other than the meeting rooms
if you place it at the helpdesk for instance, they can test if the WLAN behaves normally
this test is a good representation of the WLAN functioning correctly
if and in addition you can monitor  the WLAN is present in the meeting room, it will work there also

if your concern is that the board of directors  demands testing on-site,  you need to test on-site
(that is testing remotely will not be accepted by the board) 

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

The cheaper way would be to use a WLAN Pi device and remotely monitor it.

Ypu can also use it as remote sensor to collect packet captures using different tools.

roberto1234
Level 1
Level 1

many thanks to all , for your input. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card