Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC (C9120) questions

Dominic Stalder
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community

I am somewhere, that internet access is limited and I try to setup a small WiFi for a hospital. I wanted to use a C9120 as EWC + AP and some Aironet 1832 as APs.

I converted the C9120 to EWC 17.3.6 but as soon as the EWC boots up, the L3 connection is lost. I am not able to access the EWC w/o serial console.

1. somewhere I read, that an active internet connection is needed, to setup the EWC, is that true? I don‘t think so.

2. Can I somehow upgrade the EWC (offline) to another version?

Thanks in advance

dominic

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi M.

I was finally able to get it to work with EWC 17.9.4 and configure the ip address statically configured:

interface GigabitEthernet0
mac-address 0000.1111.2222
ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0
no negotiation auto

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards

Dominic

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You don't need an active internet connection for the EWC . Concerning upgrading , what do you mean by an offline upgrade ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi M

thanks for the confirmation, that no internet access is needed. Then it is a specific problem of 17.3.6, that the EWC is not able to connect to the network.

I want to try another EWC version, but because I have no L3 access to the EWC, I am not able to up-/downgrade it via TFTP or something similar.

Regards

Dominic

>... Then it is a specific problem of 17.3.6, that the EWC is not able to connect to the network.
 - Negative this does never happen, provided correct network parameters such as address and netmask are provided during first installation. Now if we talk about out of the box installation(s) , look at 
             https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

In that case the EWC can get an (initial)  address trough DHCP (too)  ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Dominic Stalder
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm, that it IS a problem; the EWC gets an IP address from DHCP server (192.168.1.1) but it can not reach it:

WLC#show ip int brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
GigabitEthernet0 192.168.1.14 YES DHCP up up
WLC#ping 192.168.1.1
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

- Where are you trying to reach it from ? Is the particular device on the same subnet as the EWC AP ? If not do you have a routable-path to the EWC AP (subnet) ? If it is remote  , are there any firewalling or remote access restrictions ?

M.

Very simple setup: I have a switch with a mgmt IP address in VLAN 1 and a client also in VLAN 1 on the same layer 2 domain.

I can ping:

client > switch mgmt

switch > client

But I can never ping the EWC from the client or the switch and I can never ping from the EWC to the client or the switch.

- What address is the client using ? Is the EWC and the client in the same
VLAN ?

M.

Hi M.

I was finally able to get it to work with EWC 17.9.4 and configure the ip address statically configured:

interface GigabitEthernet0
mac-address 0000.1111.2222
ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0
no negotiation auto

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards

Dominic

- Good work !

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Glad to hear you got it working - good choice to upgrade - 17.3 is almost end of life.
For future always check the TAC recommended releases - link below.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card