Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC or Catalyst 9800-L?

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I would like to ask for advice on choosing new wireless controller to upgrade our existing old WLC 5508s:

Option 1: Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst 9130AX 

Option 2: Catalyst 9800-L

We are a small org with just 100 APs. Half of them are Meraki cloud managed MR56s. The rest are Aironet 3702s and 3802s which we need to manage with Option 1 or 2. Because the number of Aironets is just under 50, I am inclined towards Option 1. But, having no experience with embedded controller (which needs to be setup in dual actvie-standby HA mode) and flexconnect APs, would like to know if this is a good choice or not.

Option 2 is much more expensive than Option 1, but switching from 5508 to Catalyst 9800-L looks to be easier for us. 

Would you recommend to us Option 1 or Option 2 and why?

Many many thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Management point of view there should not be any difference between EWC or 9800 (L-Physical or CL- Virtual). Once you set it up you access GUI and no difference across any of those platforms.

EWC is WLC running on the AP itself and from the resource point of view, it is not equal to a physical/virtual 9800. It is good for small branch kind of deployment where you would not like to invest in a 9800 WLC. There will be certain features (eg-local mode AP support) you won't get with an EWC.

When ordering, you can get EWC image on an AP and that save some time of converting a normal 91xx AP to EWC. You can begin with initial configs using the below doc

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-6/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_6/overview_of_the_controller.html#id_90623 

In case if you got a normal Cisco 91xx AP, you can convert it to EWC as well, you can follow this guide for it

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html 

I would suggest you try it out and test the features & performance of EWC, that will gives you the confidence one way or the other 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

Cisco announced three new APs: 

• CW9162
  • CW9164
  • CW9166

In the past (and possibly to "buy some time"), Cisco made EWC firmware free.  Several months ago, they announced that EWC will no longer continue.  

The new APs have a prefix of "CW".  That means that the APs can be managed in two  different modes/methods:  A WLC or Meraki Cloud.  

EWC users are encouraged to use Meraki Cloud. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

None. 

This week is Cisco Live US.  Wait until next week and talk to the Cisco AM/SE. 

That is all I am allowed to say.

Hello Mr. Leo,

I wonder if you can disclose now about the new wireless product.  I checked Cisco wireless products webpage and I couldn't spot any new product/model on it. 

Thanks!

Cisco announced three new APs: 

• CW9162
  • CW9164
  • CW9166

In the past (and possibly to "buy some time"), Cisco made EWC firmware free.  Several months ago, they announced that EWC will no longer continue.  

The new APs have a prefix of "CW".  That means that the APs can be managed in two  different modes/methods:  A WLC or Meraki Cloud.  

EWC users are encouraged to use Meraki Cloud. 

Big thanks, Mr. Lao. You are a true legend!

Here is my input,

1. 9130-EWC

You cannot get your 3702s to join 9130 EWC (pls refer below)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html 

APs have to be in FlexConnect mode 

2. 9800-L
As long as you keep your WLC, 17.3.x code version, you can get both 3702s/3802s managed by this WLC. If you want to upgrade WLC firmware, then you have to refresh 3702s.

APs can be in Local mode (if that is you done with 5508), it will be like to like replacement

If you are happy with Meraki cloud-managed with MR56, I would suggest going with that solution rather than keeping a mix of Meraki & Cisco Enterprise WLC/APs as part of your network.

As Leo hinted, Cisco will release newer AP models during CLUS this week that may give flexibility in how you manage them (Meraki Cloud or 9800 WLCs). But this means you have to get those newer AP models (not possible with 3702/3802)

HTH

Rasika

Thank you so much Rasika. It is much appreciated!

In terms of ease of deployment/administration how would you rate EWC vs physical Catalyst 9800-L?

Big thanks if advance for taking time to help us with your expertise! 

Management point of view there should not be any difference between EWC or 9800 (L-Physical or CL- Virtual). Once you set it up you access GUI and no difference across any of those platforms.

EWC is WLC running on the AP itself and from the resource point of view, it is not equal to a physical/virtual 9800. It is good for small branch kind of deployment where you would not like to invest in a 9800 WLC. There will be certain features (eg-local mode AP support) you won't get with an EWC.

When ordering, you can get EWC image on an AP and that save some time of converting a normal 91xx AP to EWC. You can begin with initial configs using the below doc

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-6/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_6/overview_of_the_controller.html#id_90623 

In case if you got a normal Cisco 91xx AP, you can convert it to EWC as well, you can follow this guide for it

I would suggest you try it out and test the features & performance of EWC, that will gives you the confidence one way or the other 

HTH

Rasika

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- There is also and or to be expected capacity limit for EWC : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.html

>...

Q.  What are the scale limits for the Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points?

A.  The Cisco Catalyst 9105AXI, 9115AX, and 9117AX Series Access Points running the EWC support up to 50 access points and 1000 clients. The Catalyst 9120AX and Catalyst 9130AX Series running the EWC support up to 100 access points and 2000 clients.
 M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card