cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

File transfer issue over wireless Network

Farooq Muhammad
Level 1
Level 1

I am facing a recently explored issue . The network is recently deployed with 10G LAN Infrastructue such as Access and Core switches . The wireless is composed of Cisco 5520 Controller and the latest Catalyst 9120AXI access points.The ISP internet speed is 100Mbps.
The internet speed is perfectly fine when check with speed test on both LAN and Wireless Lan.However , the users are facing issue when uploading a file to any cloud services such as Google drive etc . The file upload takes for example a 4GB file over the LAN shows 6-7 Minutes , while the Wireless shows 60-80 Minutes.
Iperf tests results are fine when tested with an 802.11ac client and server .

The problem is the same when tested on an AP where 10 users are connected and an AP where no user is connected . Distance from laptop to AP hardly 2m.

Speed and duplex settings on switch ports to AP , UPLINK and Controller interfaces all verified.

We can understand wireless is not comparable to Wired but this seems too much unacceptable.

I can provide any output required.

Any urgent response  is appreciated.

23 Replies 23

There is no QOS enabled any where on the network including WAN Router , Firewall and no proxy etc.

Checked the complete path there are no drops on the interfaces.

So then you need those packet captures and try the config I suggested.

You should really be doing packet captures right at the beginning to understand problems like this.

@Farooq Muhammad wrote:

There is no QOS enabled any where on the network including WAN Router 

WTF ... 
You have a 100 Mbps link and no QoS or traffic shaping policy is in place? 
I think that is where the problem is.  

The router is probably trying to push (up the WAN link) more than 100 Mbps and the ISP is dropping the packets.

As stated earlier its a new deployment and will be optimized later ofcourse. The link is not yet fully utilized , when i see the interface statistics on the WAN router for File transfer via Wireless its not exceeding total of 3Mbps . Which is not the case when using Wired File transfer.

Still there has been no identification for the cause of the issue.

Will be doing packet captures over the Air and LAN in next session.The firewall and WAN Router is completely ruled out since the Wifi subnet when used in Wired client has the same performance as other wired subnets.

What version of code are you running?

Did you try TCP MSS - very easy to do, non-disruptive and might give you an immediate answer?

saravlak
Spotlight
Spotlight

Good Suggestions!!!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Out of curiosity, can you provide a screen shot of the iPerf test from the local lan?  Also, have you tired iPerf test on some public iPerf servers?  Also do the same test from a wired laptop on the same subnet as the wireless client for both local and public iPerf. 

https://iperf.cc/

https://iperf.fr/iperf-servers.php

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card