cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find a cisco AP

Vasifly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, everybody. I need your help. I'm working at huge warehouse. I've lost one of the Cisco 1832 AP and i just have a serial number of that device. Is there a tool to find Cisco AP on local network by it's serial number?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Hi

Do you have cisco Prime? Is the only tool that might help if the serial number is the only information you have

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If its online, you could do a wireless survey and match the BSSIDs/ AP name

If not online, and connected to switch you could use CDP neighbour to find the mac address

If all you have is serial number, its going to be very hard if not online and you dont have Prime/ DNAC to get you some further info.

If all APs are viable, you could flash the LED on all APs and physically walk the floor and find the one not flashing to save getting to the AP level to read the mac address

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Don't know if you have 9800, if you do try this

C9800#show ap config general | i AP Name|Serial
Cisco AP Name : HMS_DAO
AP Serial Number : FJC253XXXXX

C9800#show ap cdp neighbors | sec HMS_DAO
HMS_DAO 10.X.X.X SWH01.ABC TenGigabitEthernet1/0/45

now you at least know which port of which switch AP is connected on.

-hope this helps-

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

When you say "Lost", I assume this AP disassociated from Wireless Controller. If yes, then like others said it'll be tough to find the AP. 

If you have backed up your AP inventory (including serial&MAC), then use Cisco CDP neighbor output from Cisco switch and find the matching MAC Address from your AP inventory list. 

If you have access to any of the wireless survey/troubleshooting tools such as Ekahau (Sidekick) / Netally AirCheck, you can use them to find the AP. (FYI, These tools are very expensive).

CJ

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card