Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall/Switching capacity

Jaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I have one project with high density of clients (12 000 public clients in one time, not all of them will use mobile phones, but let's say half of them,access only to the internet, which will use only apps with small traffic), which will be connected by smartphones to the wifi.

I have bandwidth with 200mb only.

I have choosen cisco ap3800 APs for it, it is around 12K square meters, where will be 25 aps. - Clients will connect to this APs.

I'm thinking about cisco 9200 with POE for APs connection.

I do not know what firewall/router should I use, to be suitable for so much connection, but there is one condition - this device must support IPSec vpns. I'm thinking about cisco ASA 5516.

Where should be L3 interface for clients, I guess on cisco 9200 switches. pleas confirm

This project will be reviewed by my colleague and I need some help what should I check in my suggestion of Firewalls and switches.

If you have some questions please do not hesitate to ask me, I will answer ASAP.

Thank you in advance

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ASA 5516 can able to handle your rquirement of 200MB of Internet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-firepower-services/datasheet-c78-742475.html

Cat9200 act as Layer 2 you can use Firewall as Gateway.

Router look at branch routers :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/compare-model.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi, 

routers have defined number of users around 100, what if I will have 10 000 ? What is key, how to design it, on basis of wan bandwidth ?

Can be DHCP setted up on WLC, or firewall will be better for this purposes.

Thank you

Jaroslav

25 APs and 6'000 - 12'000 simultaneous users?? I can already tell you, that this will very probably not work. I suggest no more than 75 users per AP, if you still want to be able to have somewhat useable speeds. Then this design very probably needs external antennas, for which a site survey is extremely important. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card