cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flapping port between firewall MAC-address and access point?

drr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

We have a strange issue.

We have noticed that when a specific client connect to an access point, and stays connected some time, the AP and uplink starts flapping, making the AP unusable. Only way to resolve this is to restart the access point.

What's strange with this, however, is that the MAC address that is flapping, is the MAC address of the firewall. So for example below:

Feb 22 11:41:13.036: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host dc0b.09d7.6649 in vlan 20 is flapping between port Gi1/0/24 and port Gi1/0/7.

The access point is connected to port 7, while the switch uplink is port 24. The mac address dc0b.09d7.6649 is the firewalls mac address on SVI 1.2, the interface connected to the switch:

Interface Ethernet1/2 "", is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is EtherSVI, BW 1000 Mbps, DLY 10 usec
Full-Duplex(fullDuplex), 1000 Mbps(1gbps)
Available but not configured via nameif
MAC address dc0b.09d7.6649, MTU not set
IP address unassigned
3286840218 packets input, 3071697766043 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 502601348 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
0 pause input, 0 resume input
2572997387 packets output, 14995922512835 bytes, 0 underruns
0 pause output, 0 resume output
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
0 late collisions, 0 deferred
0 input reset drops, 0 output reset drops

The flapping is happening every 10th second when it starts, and it's hard to troubleshoot since it's the mac address of the firewall.

Any idea what could be causing this issue?

Edit, clarification:
Topology:
AP connected to trunk port on switch port 7.
Switch connected via trunk port 24 (uplink) to the firewall.

Client (Windows PC) connects to AP, and causes the flapping as described earlier.

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It's a bit unclear what the network topology is here : note that APs should always be terminated on switches , not on the firewall (?)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Yes of course.
Sorry for the confusion. The topology is simple:
AP connected to trunk port on switch port 7.
Switch connected via trunk port 24 to the firewall.

Client (Windows PC) connects to AP, and causes the flapping as described earlier.

- Check AP and firewall logs (too) ; or even better configure a common syslog server on : AP - switch - firewall ; and examine the logging arriving on the syslog server ; better insights may be obtained.

Some aside questions : what is the AP model , how is it used : controller or standalone (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no reason we see the AP move from one port to other port (we do aware client roaming you see this logs, but not the AP)

make sure there is no other loops in the network where the MAC learning from different sources ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I made sure several times. I also created a new SSID on the AP with only one AP broadcasting the SSID with the only client connecting to the SSID is the one causing the issue.

this FW is transparent mode ?

MHM

No, its in routed mode, but configured with SVI's which is not showed in the description 

Router mode are you config BDI in FW?

The mac is pass only in case of bridging' in routing the mac is change from hop to hop

MHM

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

It’s possible that specific WiFi client is spoofing the MAC address of the default gateway (or causing a loop over the air?). Take a look at the client’s drivers, OS, non-physical network adapters (such as for VPNs or virtual machines), antivirus, installed software, do a malware scan, etc.

Is the client also hardwired, and if so, is the hardwire VLAN the same VLAN the client is in when in WiFi?

This is assuming the AP is in FlexConnect mode and clients are terminated at the switch since you mentioned the switch port to the AP is a trunk.

Yes that's possible but i can not find any traces of the MAC addresses at all besides in the switch. When the issue is happening, i cant see the MAC address in the AP, or at the client. I only see it flapping in the switch. Makes no sense at all.

There is VPN installed on the client but no references to the MAC address.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I was also going to suggest the hard-wired possibility.

Presume you are using flexconnect local switching for this SSID?

Make sure nothing (particularly the firewall) has proxy ARP enabled?

Make sure your WLC software is up to date (as per TAC recommended link below) just to eliminate known bugs that might have been fixed.  Although this could just as easily be a firewall bug.

Make sure the WiFi driver and OS on the Windows PC are fully up to date and that it doesn't have any kind of bridging enabled, or software that might replay network traffic (some security/hacker tools).  Also consider the possibility that the PC has been compromised and is running some kind of malware which is trying (for example) to do a box-in-the-middle attack with the firewall.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card