Views
Helpful
Replies

Flex+Bridge Mode With VWLC

mahdi.rashgi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sirs

I have some problem with VWLC(8.1.111.0) configuration in Flex+Bridge Mode by two LAP1262N  APs  and I have not found any proper configuration guide. There is a stable connection between Root And Mesh APs. On root side there is no problem and clients obtain IP Addresses and they work but on Mesh side clients are authenticated and associated to the VWLC but they cannot obtain IP address. My last configuration is detailed below, I would be thankful if you could help me with the solution.

AP1(ROOT):

Mode: Flex+Bridge

AP Role: RootAP

Bridge Group Name: Test

Backhaul Interface: Ethernet

Bridge Data Rate (Mbps): Auto

Ethernet Link Status: UP

Install mapping on radio backhaul: Enabled

VLAN Support: Enabled

FlexConnect Group Name: Test (With Associated VLANs)

AP2(MESH):

Mode: Flex+Bridge

AP Role: MeshAP

Bridge Group Name: Test

Preferred Parent: (Root Base Radio MAC address+first hex digit changed to f)

Backhaul Interface: 802.11a/n

Bridge Data Rate (Mbps): Auto

Ethernet Link Status: Down

Install mapping on radio backhaul: Disabled

FlexConnect Group Name: Test (With Associated VLANs)

Inheritance Level: AP-Specific

Best Regards

3 Replies 3

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Are the AP specific VLAN mappings of the MAP the same as the ones configured in the Flexconnect group on the RAP? If your test client is associated to the MAP, do you see it's MAC address being learned on the switch port connected to RAP? If so, in which VLAN?

If you also want to use the 5Ghz (backhaul) radio on the MAP for client connectivity, you need to check that box on the flexconnect tab of the MAP access-points as well.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Dear Freek Terpstra

Thank you so much for your useful answer, I did some other tests but I faced another problem with VLAN overriding(Dynamic VLANs), these are some steps of my job:

1- I checked Install mapping on radio backhaul option in the MAP AP, but nothing was working again, the mac address was not seen on the switch port but the client was authenticated on VWLC. This is the Flex connect configuration of AP and as you can see there are some configuration restrictions on AP-Specific Inheritance Level.

2- Then I did some WLAN-AP VLAN Mapping configuration on flex-connect group and I checked Override VLAN On AP  for changing MAP Inheritance Level to Group-Specific.

3- After that change I considered that MAP AP supported VLAN and the Client obtained IP Address but Dynamic VLAN(Radius VLAN Overriding) was not working and after clientā€™s Authentication the ip address was obtained from that static VLAN, and again everything specially VLAN Overriding was working correctly on RAP AP with the same flex-connect group!!!

After all I would be thankful if you could offer any solution for this case or if you have tested the same scenario successfully please guide me with the correct steps (or maybe the VWLC has some problem with this kind of configuration).

Best Regards

I have a similar problem, but with 1532 APs, 8510 WLC and an 8.2.121 image.

Try to take the vWLC and the APs to 8.0.140 image. For me, this resolved the problem, at least temporary. I think it is a bug. I tried to find it on bug search tool, but with no luck.

Finally, I think I will have to open a case, because I cannot stay on that image because of the new wave 2 APs that I have to bring into the network.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card