Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect and mDNS

jrod1799
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to implement Airprint on a WLAN that has Flexconnect local switching enabled and I read that enabling Flexconnect and mDNS on the same WLAN is not possible. Can someone explain the why? I am a little confused on that part. All I can find is that it's not possible. Does it have something to do with the WLAN VLAN Mapping?

I have a Cisco Controller 3504 and Cisco AP 2800 series.

12 Replies 12

Can you provide a reference link for stating that ?

I think there is no such restriction

HTH

Rasika

I agree... same subnet works, the issue is when they, devices, are not in the same subnet which typically requires an mDNS gateway.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, this part of the article is what confused me. My WLANs have flexconnect local switching enabled.

"FlexConnect APs will join the CAPWAP multicast group only if they have centrally switched WLANs. Flex APs with only locally switched WLANs do not join the CAPWAP multicast group."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/multicast_broadcast_setup.html

Hello,

To use mDNS gateway solution between FlexConnect Wireless & Wired devices then please use the IP as Bonjour gateway.

The Bonjour gateway switch will allow the service discovery and distribution between VLANs based on implemented policies. Kindly refer following deployment guide for implementation details:

Cisco DNA Service for Bonjour Deployment Guide:
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/nb-06-dna-bonjour-deploy-cte-en.pdf

thanks,
rahul.

What about if you don't have Cisco DNA Service? Is there a different way?

You can always look at Avahi installed on a linux box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software)
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

For Inter-VLAN Bonjour service-routing - you simply need Bonjour gateway on Catalyst switch at Distribution-Layer. IP Gateway=Bonjour Gateway. The VLAN can be Wired or Wireless user/devices VLAN at Distribution Layer. This deployment model is known as Local-Area-Bonjour.

Only when you want to start Bonjour service-routing between multiple gateways you will require Cisco DNA-Center that enables Wide Area Bonjour routing of the services across IP network...

thanks,

rahul.

Yes, well since we have different VLAN's for the printers and the Wireless devices, they have different gateways so I still am not able to see how this will work. I can't buy Cisco DNA. Can someone provide me a how to guide to configure flexconnect and mdns on the same wlan? If it is possible, how come I can't find anything confirming it except through word of mouth? If it's not possible, can you tell me a good alternative to airprint? I'm trying to look for one since I don't think I know enough about WLC's to find a work around or loophole.

jrod1799
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm testing it out on my controller. I have created a test WLAN with flexconnect local switching enabled on it. The interface the Test WLAN is using is VLAN 52. I am using a cisco ap2802e and have enabled flexconnect on it and did VLAN mapping for the test wlan for VLAN 70. I couldn't enable mdns snooping on the WLAN because it gave me an error saying that it couldn't be enabled when flexconnect local switching is enabled. I saw an option to put the mdns profile on the interface itself so I did. Now, on my Ipad, I can see the Airprint capable printers that are on VLAN 50 whereas before I was only able to see the airprint printers using VLAN 52. The only thing is, I can't print. I can just see the printers. Why is that? Can someone explain the theory on why it's seeing the printer now? Let me know if there's any confusion to what I did or if there needs to be more information provided.

Hello,

If your iPad is able to browse the AirPrint printers, but unable to print means the mDNS discovery process is completed. Please check if there is any data-path issue between iPad and printer as it is simply an direct unicast traffic unless some reachability issue...

thanks,

rahul.

Okay I will do that. For some reason, the ipad cycles between seeing all the printers - then the printers on the same vlan - then none of the printers - then all of the printers and I can print to them - repeat. I don't know why.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card