cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect only works on Native VLAN

tomas.jacobsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was planning on using Flexconnect for access to local resources on multiple WLANs/VLANs. I connect an AP to a trunk port with Native VLAN 600. The AP is configured as a Flexconnect AP and under the Flexconnect tab I configure the Native Id and do the correct VLAN Mappings.

I configure an interface for this purpose and assign it VLAN 608. On the WLAN itself, under the Advanced Tab, I check the "Flexconnect Local Switching" and I tell it to use the interface connected to VLAN 608.

Whatever combination I try the client always hooks up to the native VLAN. It seems like traffic is going untagged. WLC runs on 7.6.130.0.

Any idea on this?

/Tomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP is assigned an ip address in vlan 600 and the trunk port is allowing vlan 600 and vlan 608.  On the FlexConnect ap, you have native vlan defined as vlan 600 and in the WLAN to vlan mapping you have your wlan mapped to vlan 608. This wlan to vlan mapping takes precedence over the WLAN interface configured globally to let you know. So if that is correct, then your setup is fine. I would make sure vlan 608 is being passed to the switch that the access point is connected on. You can try to connect a laptop to the same switch that is defined for vlan 608 and see if that device gets an IP address. If not, then you need to look at your network.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP is assigned an ip address in vlan 600 and the trunk port is allowing vlan 600 and vlan 608.  On the FlexConnect ap, you have native vlan defined as vlan 600 and in the WLAN to vlan mapping you have your wlan mapped to vlan 608. This wlan to vlan mapping takes precedence over the WLAN interface configured globally to let you know. So if that is correct, then your setup is fine. I would make sure vlan 608 is being passed to the switch that the access point is connected on. You can try to connect a laptop to the same switch that is defined for vlan 608 and see if that device gets an IP address. If not, then you need to look at your network.

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks for the quick answer. VLAN 608 is allowed on the trunk and when I connect a PC to an access port on VLAN 608 I get an IP from that subnet. Seems like everything is correctly configured. At least now I know I didn't miss anything on the WLC setup. Suppose I'll try some debugging now. Thanks.

/Tomas

Hello

did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have the exact same issues on a vWLC with Flexconnect local switches SSID's - no matter what, clients are put on the native VLAN...

Is the AP trunked and are you allowing the wireless client clans in the trunk? You have your WLAN to vlan mapping defined on the AP?  Need to verify that all the configurations are done correctly. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Hi Scott

We just figured it out... seems like Cisco has changed something in version 8.1 of WLC and introduced and option to enable VLAN support under FlexConnect Groups settings as shown below - after enabling that Things started to Work as expected...

Things change all the time and understanding what global configuration is needed and what can override global settings is very important. Glad you figured it out.

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card