cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

guest client can manage the guest anchor controller and internal controller?

raymond wang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I found with dhcp configured on the guest controller, the guest client can access the guest controller and the internal controller which has tunnel to guest controller.

I even disable the allow to mgmt the controller via wireless client, but it still allow. I found 2 issues below and got some answers from cisco. Do you guys find the same issue? It is high security issue!

1 issues-1 if the AP is in flexconnect mode, the wireless client can manage the controller(is it expected?)

//yes, it is expected, use ACL to prevent the same.

2 dhcp server is configured on the guest controller, the guest clients can manage the guest controller and internal controller both. Both tested with code 7.0.98 and 7.6.110.

//have filed bug CSCum93894, check cco after 24hrs to track the bug.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I dont think this command can be enabled by the GUI. My question was more towards, did you enable this command on the dynmic interface. I thinks its disbaled by default. If you enabled it, your guest users can access the controllers interfaces.

So  "managment via wireless" is unchecked. Thats good.

I looked at the bug, it lacks detail.

Have you applied an ACL to the managment interface ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Maybe 'technically', but with Flex the client is accessing the WLC via the wire not the wireless.  And the other issue of being on one WLC and accessing another is well known.

This runs into best practices of configruing ACL to only allow mgmt access to those subnets that need it, IMHO

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Raymond,

Interesting Ray, thanks for posting. In my deisgn I don't use internal DHCP server on the WLC, but I dont think that matters much. I have 40+ controllers anchored to 2 guest controllers in the DMZ and ACLs are applied to the WLC interface. I am unable to access the controllers via HTTP, HTTPS TELNET or SSH. Im running 7.0.240.

Keep in mind 7.0.98 is no longer supported by Cisco and was pulled.

Also do you have this enabled on your dynamic interface ?

config network mgmt-via-dynamic-interface {enable | disable}

I have an ACL applied to the managment interface ans its working ..

I will follow the bug .. Post any updates ..

HI George,

I also tested with 7.6.110 and got the same result. Can you tell me how to configure it from GUI as you mentioned for dynamic interface?

From GUI I did not check this option under management tab.

Enable Controller Management to be accessible from Wireless Clients

my concern is since the controller assign the ip to the guest client, if i did not check that option, the guest client can not access the controller at all.

ACL is a work around which I have tested.

I dont know that to be true, if you mean "managment via wireless" check box. Thats only to manage the WLC. Not needed for access. Are you saying, if you dont check box that clents do not work ?Specific to number 2 .. Not flex connect

BTW - DHCP on the WLC has been problematic in the past.

BTW here is what my guest dynamic interface WLC ACL looks like.

mgtacl.png

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

" if you dont check box that clents do not work"

I do not check that box which means the wireless client can not access the controller. That is my understanding,

but with flexconnect client or guest client both still can access the controller.

I dont think this command can be enabled by the GUI. My question was more towards, did you enable this command on the dynmic interface. I thinks its disbaled by default. If you enabled it, your guest users can access the controllers interfaces.

So  "managment via wireless" is unchecked. Thats good.

I looked at the bug, it lacks detail.

Have you applied an ACL to the managment interface ?

I did not configure it which means it is disabled.

I did not apply the ACL currently. I have tested with ACL, it works fine. I only allow the guest to access to the internet and can not access to any private ip address.By this way, the guest can not access the controller then. I just want to know why even I uncheck that, it it still can access the controller.

Another issues is the internal user which is connected to the flexconnect AP still can access to the controller even that mgmt via wireless is unchecked. With this senario, it is hard to apply ACL .

I wouod have to say the flex connect issue is a bug.

Maybe 'technically', but with Flex the client is accessing the WLC via the wire not the wireless.  And the other issue of being on one WLC and accessing another is well known.

This runs into best practices of configruing ACL to only allow mgmt access to those subnets that need it, IMHO

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Stephen,

I think that is the only option I have right now...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card