Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest WLAN showing up as unsecured network on Apple devices macbook

yogesh.gaikwad1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Guest WLAN setup using webauth + Cisco ISE server with self-registration + sponsor portal on our Cisco WLC 5520 running 8.10.190.0 version.

One of our customers complained that the network isnt safe to connect, due to the fact that he observed a warning on his macbook while trying to connect to our Guest WLAN. Error says "unsecured networks expose all unencrypted network traffic, configure the router to use WPA2/WPA3 personal security type for this network"

On our WLC in the WLAN settings the layer2 security is set to none, because that is how the Guest sponsor portal is setup as per Cisco documentation.

Thus, question is how to get rid of the warning message shown on some clients that the Guest WLAN SSID is unsecure without enabling the layer 2 security?

Or it is mandatory to enable the layer 2 security to get rid of the message, if yes what is the point of having Guest portal using ISE, if layer 2 security is enabled and we need to use PSK?

Please help.

5 Replies 5

The message will stay there as long you don't configure encryption for the SSID. Basically you have to possibilities:

1) Tell the guest-user that this is an open WLAN, and he has to make sure to protect his data, for example with a VPN. He should do this anyhow because the WLAN provider can always "spy" on his traffic.

2) Add a passphrase to the WLAN. All guest users need to get this passphrase, which you could print on a sign at the reception desk.

yogesh.gaikwad1
Level 1
Level 1

I see.

What does this mean practically

2) Add a passphrase to the WLAN. All guest users need to get this passphrase, which you could print on a sign at the reception desk.

Does it mean that I should also configure a PSK, which user will put in first, and then user will further connect to the self registration portal in ISE? if yes, do you have some reference link to some cisco document to show how it is done?

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

I wanted to bring up a third option to see what others think, enabling Enhanced Open (OWE) on the SSID, with caveats (see below). This provides encryption without authentication (just connect, no PSK). Note that it requires AC Wave 2 (ex. 1800/2800/3800/4800 series) or newer APs, and some clients may not support it, especially if their drivers are out of date. Your mileage may vary, so try on a test SSID with various devices before implementing in production.

Do a Ctrl + F and search for Enhanced Open in this guide. There are different sections for information and configuration: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/wlan_security.html

Here's the corresponding guide for 9800 WLCs, OWE section: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/technical-reference/wpa3-dg.html#OWE

Disclaimer, this is not something I have used in production personally. I just tried enabling it on a test SSID on both our AireOS and 9800 WLCs and an up to date iPhone still reports that it's an unsecure network (despite the WLC reporting that it is in fact using OWE -- perhaps something Apple should fix), and an old out-of-date Android cannot connect at all. Has anyone tested other devices to see if any warnings about an unsecured network go away?

Exactly what I was going to suggest.  Just to add - this is using WPA3.  
I haven't done enough testing to comment myself on the insecure message - or at least wasn't paying attention to it - will do when I get a chance.

@yogesh.gaikwad1 open public networks (hotspots) are unencrypted by default and until every device supports WPA3 with OWE or 802.1x with Passpoint or Openroaming then they will remain that way.
Remember (almost) everything we do on the internet today is already highly encrypted (that's what https with TLS v1.3 does) so even if somebody captured the traffic it wouldn't be much use to them.  Using a VPN adds an extra layer of security to that.  If somebody is concerned about security then they should already be using a VPN when connecting to any network they don't own themselves, regardless of whether the wireless is encrypted or not.

Note that OWE (encryption) is mandatory in the 6 GHz band (WiFi 6E and WiFi 7) for "open" networks so no unencrypted SSIDs allowed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card