Views
Helpful
Replies

Guidance on Resetting a 9120 Access Point Without Losing the AP Image

vinitgori1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

Could you please advise on how to reset a 9120 access point so that it forgets the known WLC list only? I should not lose AP image.

Scenario:
My 9120 AP is attempting to join the 5520 WLC through option 43, which is not compatible. I have updated the option 43 setting for the 9120 AP to the IP of the 9800 WLC, but it is still sending a join request to the 5520 WLC.

I would like to physically reset the access point to clear its known WLC IP list without losing the AP image. Based on my research, holding the reset button for 20 seconds performs a regular reset, while holding it for 30 seconds initiates a full factory reset.
Could you confirm which method I should use to reset the AP without losing the image?

15 Replies 15

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Confirmed , you will never  loose   (corrected)  the image on the AP when resetting , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for your reply.
However, it's still a bit unclear to me.

What is the difference between holding the mode button for 20 seconds versus 30 seconds during a reset? Also, which method should I use for the purpose I mentioned in my main question?

- Actually if we return to the original problem (and for safety) ; could you try  
                capwap ap erase all       
     on the AP first  and check if that help for honoring DHCP option 43 (will certainly not harm the image)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I cannot because 9120 AP donot have cli access when it is configured for the first time. We have to enable it once it joins a 9800 WLC.

- You may then try the command from the console , if t there is no CLI available  on the console too , I would opt for 20 secs and see where you are in the context of your original problem (it's supposed to be a soft reset)  , because 30 secs and later is relate to image and or corrupt image recovery (along with full reset) and is more dangerous then

M.

Simon Blomqvist
Level 1
Level 1

Go ahead and do a factory reset, it will simply remove the configuration. But you would still have an issue with this since it seems like the AP cannot join the 9800. When choosing which WLC to join, option 43 has a higher priority than known WLC list, so most likely it cannot join the 9800 for whatever reason. You should investigate this instead of resetting the AP. Start by looking in the APs cli while it tries to discover controllers, does it receive option 43? Does it get any errors while trying to join the 9800? 

Are other APs joined to the 9800 already or is this the first one you're trying to connect?

Hello Simon,

What is the difference between holding the mode button for 20 seconds versus 30 seconds during a reset? Also, which method should I use for the purpose I mentioned in my main question?

Out of 4 new APs only 1 joined properly (All APs are same with same port configuration and model). I can see in the firewall that it has not send a single request to 9800 controller IP. It is sending request to 5520 controller IP only.

From what I know there isn't a thing called regular reset and factory reset, it's just factory reset. So holding it in 20 seconds would be a factory reset. I haven't seen any Cisco docs explaining something more being deleted after 30 seconds. Here is the install guide about 9120s https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/9120ax/quick/guide/ap9120ax-getstart.html

@Simon Blomqvist   - In contrast to your remarks and referring to the link you posted , the differences in timing for holding the hold button are clearly explained :
  >... 
           (start reading from : To use the mode button, press, and keep pressed.... 
                                             (read all the rest too))

M.

@marce1000 You're right! Sorry I missed that, so the FIPS mode flag will also be cleared after 30 seconds.

Simon Blomqvist
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm sounds strange that only one AP were able to connect. What do you mean they don't have CLI access? Are these brand new or were they connected to another controller were CLI access was disabled? If they are brand new you will be able to connect with a console cable. 

- Usually CLI as a term is used for remote access by default, not the console , for that to work the AP must be connected to a controller that allows remote access to it,

M.

There I disagree with you. CLI is CLI, it's still a command line interface whether you connect to it by console or remote access.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@vinitgori1 wrote:
I have updated the option 43 setting for the 9120 AP to the IP of the 9800 WLC, but it is still sending a join request to the 5520 WLC.

1.  Power down the AP. 

2.  Clear out the DHCP lease of the AP.

3.  Restart the AP and enter the command "capwap ap erase all".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card