cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Enabling 802.11b Support

nordberg_73
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help? All I want to do is enable 802.11b support on my Cisco 877W. My 802.11g clients can see and attach to it no problems. My 802.11b clients cannot see it at all. I have tried all sorts but nothing has helped. My config looks like this:

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

!

encryption key 1 size 128bit 7 BC48CE99C4E9B683819990D3C1A5 transmit-key

encryption mode wep mandatory

!

ssid *****

authentication open

!

speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0

48.0 54.0

station-role root

no dot11 extension aironet

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

What do I need to add to make it visible and available to 802.11b clients?

Many Thanks,

Matt

6 Replies 6

udimpas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Same problem we experience on our newly deployed 4402 WLC. G clients can associate the WLAN easily but B clients although are being detected on the WLC dashboard are having problems associating on the WLAN.

Im using 1200LWAP and 4402 WLC.

thanks in advance.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

I would try two things for starters;

1. Change the radio speed settings to "default"

2. Try changing the channel that you are using (I noticed your post on another forum and I think you are using Channel 13) Maybe you could try changing this to Channel 11.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts..........

Hi,

Thanks for your help on this matter.

I tried both of the things you suggested, and no change.

Anything else you can think of?

Matt

Can anyone help? I am very desperate now and close to sending this router back to the supplier!

I'd start by defaulting the AP back to factory default, no WEP, no authentication.

Check to see if the 802.11b clients can connect.

If all the 802.11b clients are running the same software, check to see that they are up-to-date drivers & client software. If you're using the MS client software (Zero Wireless Config) try a client using the vendor's client software instead.

If the clients are not eve associating, look at the basic parameters: things like preamble length (legacy default is "long" which is a one meg data rate)

If you can get the 802.11b client to connect whith all open parameters, then add WEP. Be advised that some clients need the WEP entered as HEX, not ASCII.

For example ASCII "ABCD" would be "41 42 43 44" in hex ... make sure you're using the same system. IF youre using something like "12345abcde" that can be a valid (but incorrect) hex string when ou really intend for it to be ASCII.

Also note that leading or training spaces (ASCII 20) are valid characters. Make sure you do not have leading or training spaces in your WEP (unless you really want them there, in whch case, make sure they're there)

Make sure the Ethernet format is correct: use the Web GUI to set up. Check the parameters on the "Interfaces" page and do not (at least initially) use the "Best throughput" or "Best Range" settings, leave it at "Default Settings"

If your 802.11b clients are PDAs, bar-code scanners, or other hand-held devices, check that they are at default settings for the standard 802.11b protocols; some use proprietary protocols for better performance or security.

That's about it for me ... let us know if any of that changes (works / doesn't work, but acting differently / doesn't work, looks the same).

Good Luck

Scott

I've defaulted it, but it doesn't work.

All clients are running the MS wireless client and that's how they are going to stay so I haven't tested any 3rd party software.

It's not just a case of not being able to connect, the 11b devices can't even see this AP.

I am truly amazed how difficult and involved this has become and am starting to wonder if I have a faulty router.

To say I am desperate would be an understatement. If anyone has any more suggestions at all, please reply.

Thanks.

Matt

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card