cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with 1815W physical LAN port being used for video vlan

chiseledst
Level 1
Level 1

I am using one of the LAN ports on the 1815W WAP. The LAN port is being used for video (live TV). TV media set up uses some kind of multicasting. The video gets pixel issues every 30-45 seconds where the image gets distorted. Kind of like packet loss. When I am using a LAN port straight from the wall for a TV (same vlan), there is no issue. Only when the LAN port is coming from the 1815W. The access point is getting an uplink through a trunk port on the switch. I did two wireshark captures, one from AP LAN port and one from the wall, I'm not sure what to look for in the captures. It does look like there are more drops on the AP LAN port capture but they both have TCP drops.

Can this be fixed? It seems like the AP can't handle the throughput of the TV vlan in some way. I looked into IGMP snooping on the switch config as well but this is a L2 access switch.

6 Replies 6

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

Is the 1815W joined to a controller? If so, what kind, and what code is it running?

If you do a show log on the switch the 1815 is uplinked to (assuming Cisco), is there anything interesting?

It is joined to the controller. It's an AIR-CT5520-K9 running version 8.10.181.0. Show log does not show anything on the switch. I think I need to console into the AP and check the log. I just don't have that specific console cable. I can try ssh into it. Trying to order that console cable anyway. Do you think you can get the logs from the AP?

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, you can SSH to the AP. If you haven't already, go to the WLC GUI > Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration, enable SSH, and specify login credentials. Then SSH to the AP, enter enable mode (similar to doing so for a switch), and do a show log.

I did show log but not sure what to look for, I don't see any errors. Here is the port in question on the WAP. I thought it was packet drop initially but it doesn't show any drop here. The TV is off though. Might make a difference?

chiseledst_0-1712933404046.png

No, the counters are cumulative, so even if the link were down, the number of errors would remain (if any) until the statistics got cleared.

As for looking at the show logs, I wouldn't be looking for a specific message, just if there were any messages from the time the issue occurred. Note the time zone on the WAP may be off, so do a "show clock" command to see how far behind or ahead the WAP time is so you can correlate timestamps in its logs against your local time.

Does this happen to any other devices connected to the 1815 wired port, or just this TV? I'm not sure what else to look for, personally. Someone else may have more ideas, otherwise the best course of action at this point may be to open a TAC case.

The numbers being cumulative makes sense. I set up a test AP and TV. Exact same set up on the WLC and AP itself, even the uplink trunk port for the AP. No pixel issues. But all the other ones on edge switches have pixel issues. Just Bizarre. I need to take an AP with the issue and plug it in in my test environment to start ruling things out. The switch in my test environment goes back to the same core switch as the edge switches. Wait, are you sure numbers are cumulative? I did notice the Rx packets on the test AP are much lower. Especially the Rx packets (unicast and non unicast). No pixel issues on the test AP. The Tx packets on the test AP are higher on the test AP but the LAN3 port has never been used on the test AP, so if it was cumulative, how is it higher than the other AP?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card