Level 6

Hi Goerge

what is ur comments on the Below threat from ur wireless expertize poit of view

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2068292?tstart=0

25 Replies 25

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just a hint : a private message to George might work better ;-)

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hey bud ... I will respond in a few minutes ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ibrahim

Leo is on target with his comments. If  you LAG and dont use VSS, its Cisco best pratice to keep your Controller  connected to 1 CAT.

If you dont LAG  your controller and use "ports" under your CONTROLLER  interfaces. You  can then sperate them to different CATs like you want. Take WLAN #1 primary port #1  does to cat 1 ... Backup port goes to port #2 to cat 2 ... This will  help you with your redudancy efforts ...

Make sense?

Leo / Nick , you care to add ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George

I Have LAG enable on my controller ,so am gonna connect it to the primary CORE,would you Please show to me the best pactice of the connectivity and verify the below config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1 - 4
no ip address
udld port aggressive
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,35,38,50-55
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 10 mode on

interface Port-channel10
  switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,35,38,50-55
switchport mode trunk
no ip address
spanning-tree guard root

doesnt heart if i pluged the SFP into the controller in core while both are running?

do i need to reboot the wlc when i  add the other 3 SFP,or disable or enable the ports?

First, we need to figure out what it is you are trying to accomplish.

1) Are you trying to connect your WLC to (2) different switches for redundancy?

or

2) Are you only wanting to connect your WLC to (1) switch ?

Your decison will impact how you config your switch (s) ...

Hi George

I have two CORE 1  active and 1 standby Both Runing  HSRP, I Want to connect the WLC to both core for Redundancy via 4 Gig Interfaces.but i want make the both interfaces on the WLC active and Passing data.mean when i look to wlc GUI i want to see ports 1/2/3/4 green,I dont want idle link on the controller,please advise

What is your CORE switch model and are you running VSS?

no VSS my freind,just normal 6509-E with normal sup 720

It would be advisable not to use LAG on your Cisco WLC. If you want to have your WLC connected to 2 switches for redundancy purposes we will need to consider a different design approach.

There are a lot of Cisco docs that spell out not to LAG a WLC between 2 switches and I think that is this because of how the source and destination of the traffic flow might be impacted. With that being said, you would have to break LAG and put your controller into Layer3 mode . This will require a reboot. After the reboot go to your interfaces ...

GO --> Controller ---> Interfaces --> Select your wired side interface --> Look at Phyiscal Port

You might notice there are 2 boxes.  Primary and Backup number. These are your physical port numbers on your Cisco WLCs. now lets look how you can break these up on 2 switches with redundancy.

Example:

Interface DATA

Primary Port 1 -----> Core Switch A

Backup Port 2 -----> Core Switch B

All your traffic will go across port 1 of your WLC to your core switch A. Should that core switch fall, should the SFP fail or whatever, it will then switch to WLC port 2 and pass traffic to your Core Swicth B

Of course whatever interface you tie to port one on your WLCs, you need to match your vlans, etc ... You can have say your WLAN interfaces all in port 1 and have a backup to port 2 ... Or you could even load balance these ...

Exmaple -- All traffic on primary (core switch a) backup (core switch b)

WLAN DATA ---    Primary port 1 (Core A) -- Backup port 2 (Core B)

WLAN VOICE --   Primary port 1 (Core A) -- Backup port 2 (Core B)

WLAN OFFICE -- Primary port 1 (Core A) -- Backup port 2 (Core B)

Example how you chould load balance between the 2 cores

WLAN DATA ---    Primary port 1 (Core A) -- Backup port 2 (Core B)

WLAN VOICE --   Primary port 3 (Core B) -- Backup port 4 (Core A)

WLAN OFFICE -- Primary port 5 (Core A) -- Backup port 6 (Core B)

Does this make sense? So you have design options ...

Thanks George

Do you undrstand, you go it ? let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi George

i m going to connect the 4 gig interface of the WLC to the primary core, is it okay to insert the tranceiver into both wlc and core while both r ruuning? after that do i need any restart for these two unit,pls advise

Under you current design with 1 WLC connecting to 1 switch you will be fine. As you plug them in they will start to pass traffic .... no reboot is needed ..

Ive never used udld port aggressive on a WLC. I dont think that will impact anything but you may want to conisder removing it if you see issues. Perhaps Leo, Nick, or Sur could add some input ...