cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add AP 2701i to a Virtual Wireless Controller?

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have set up a new installation of a Virtual Wireless Controller version 8.6. I am quite new to this software so I need some help om how to join the APs to the controller. I have connected a new AP to the same VLAN/IP-net as the controllers management-interface, but I can not see the AP from the controller. What do I need to do?

Best regards,

Thor-Egil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you don't require a 8.6 feature, try the latest 8.5 or even better the more stable 8.3 release.

They made some changes in 8.6, like this one:

* The filenames of Cisco Aironet 1700, 2700, 3700, and IW3702 AP software images have been changed from ap3g2-x to c3700-x format. Therefore, if you are upgrading to Release 8.5 or a later release from Release 8.3 or an earlier release, these APs will download the image twice and reboot twice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Post the complete output to the following commands:
1. vWLC: sh sysinfo;
2. vWLC: sh time;
3. AP: sh version; and
4. AP: sh ip interface brief

Hi,

3 files attached:

putty-AP.pdf: Output from AP

putty-controller.pdf: Output from vWLC

putty-boot.pdf: Output from the APs boot-sequence.

I have replaced some of the IPs with x.x.x.x in the logs.

As you can see in the logs the AP can see the controller and tries to join, but I cannot see the AP on the controller.

You have an "unprimed" AP: AIR-AP2702I-UXK9
Please follow this manual to prime them: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ux-ap/guide/uxap-mobapp-g.html
Most notably, you have to configure a location (Country) for your WLC first, without this you won't get far.

Hi,

I can now see the AP on the vWLC with operational status Downloading. But in the log it seem that the AP has problems with downloading an valid image. From the log I see:

*spamApTask3: Dec 19 11:24:29.718: %CAPWAP-3-TX_ERR: capwap_ac_sm.c:5851 The system has failed to transmit image data request to AP 00:c8:8b:f2:aa:40
*spamApTask3: Dec 19 11:24:29.718: %CAPWAP-3-ENCODE_ERR: capwap_ac_sm.c:3337 The system has failed to encode Image data request (Requested Ap Image not found) to AP 00:c8:8b:f2:aa:40
*spamApTask3: Dec 19 11:24:29.718: %CAPWAP-3-IMAGE_DOWNLOAD_ERR3: capwap_ac_platform.c:1525 Refusing image download request from Unsupported AP 00:c8:8b:f2:aa:40 - unable to open image file /bsn/ap//ap3g2

If you don't require a 8.6 feature, try the latest 8.5 or even better the more stable 8.3 release.

They made some changes in 8.6, like this one:

* The filenames of Cisco Aironet 1700, 2700, 3700, and IW3702 AP software images have been changed from ap3g2-x to c3700-x format. Therefore, if you are upgrading to Release 8.5 or a later release from Release 8.3 or an earlier release, these APs will download the image twice and reboot twice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card