Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add new AP on WLC

jejeman76
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have a WLC 4402 and 18 AP 1131. Everything works fine.
I would add 2 AP to extend coverage. I have 2 AP 1042 that I would like to add. How?
I plugged AP in my vlan wifi, and it gets its IP address given by the WLC (which is DHCP). I see it next to the other AP on the WLC in CONTROLLER> Internal DHCP Server> DHCP Leases Allocated
But it all after I do not know where to go ...
You can help me?
Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just FYI.. we have a show stopper bug on the software version that you are running related to DHCP on WLC..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCth68708

Please move the DHCP server to be any layer 3 device.. and i can see that you are planning to use 1040 APs,

1040 series APs needs the minimum WLC software to be 7.0. and above.. please upgrade the WLC to 7.0.116 and this will resolve both the DHCP bug and the AP joining the WLC..

lemme know how this works out for you and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per the documentation, the DHCP server feature on WLC is only meant to be used with wireless clients.

The precise reason is that it cannot give option 43.

Configure a dhcp pool on windows server or on a switch and follow the "configuring dhcp option 43" examples on cisco's website. Best way to go. APs should join without a problem

Just thinking about something else.

What version of software is your WLC ?

Thanks for the response. My version is :

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 6.0.199.4
RTOS Version..................................... 6.0.199.4
Bootloader Version............................... 4.2.205.0

The DHCP server on the controller is for AP on the vlan 25.

For client (on vlan 23), I have another DHCP server...

When I look on the controller in section : controller > internel DHCP server > DHCP allocated leases

I see the 18 AP and their mac address and I see my new AP with it mac address

But how add this AP on exist wlan or ssid ?

Thanks.

Just FYI.. we have a show stopper bug on the software version that you are running related to DHCP on WLC..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCth68708

Please move the DHCP server to be any layer 3 device.. and i can see that you are planning to use 1040 APs,

1040 series APs needs the minimum WLC software to be 7.0. and above.. please upgrade the WLC to 7.0.116 and this will resolve both the DHCP bug and the AP joining the WLC..

lemme know how this works out for you and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

OK, thanks !

so I upgrade the wlc...

Yes!! we need to upgrade.. lemme know if that resolved the issue..

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card