Views
Helpful
Replies

How to avoid 30 minutes re-authentication when not enable Session Timeout

Jose Wang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am using a Cisco 5508 controller with sw version 7.4.121.0. I did NOT enable Session Timeout, but I still found station disconnect and reconnect every 30 minutes, I want some way to avoid this diconeect-reconnect loop, does anyone knows? Thanks. 

My controller configuratoin:

only WPA2 Policy enabled,

AES Encryption,

PSK key management

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Additionally to this, I suggest you upgrade the WLC code to the latest 8.0, 8.2 or 8.3, because the 7.x tree doesn't anymore get any updates and there are several known security issues in 7.4.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Default is 1800s which is 30 min.
To avoid this you have to setup it with value 0.
0 means disabling session timeout for open systems but in your case it will handle the session 24h.
If this is really what you want fine but i won't recommend keeping a session for 24h.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi, 

Thank you for reply. Actually I didn't check the Session Timeout checkbox on GUI, as manual said, this is equivalent to set value to 0.

p.s. if I check the Session Timeout checkbox and set value to 0, the checkbox will get back to unchecked status after I clicked Apply button.

Thank you.

That's weird the option get unchecked. However, I agree to upgrade to newer version if you have all requirements to do. I mean by requirements, if all your APs are supported on newer version. You don't need to go to latest one but 8.0 or at least 7.6 would be fine (highly recommend going to 8.x)

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Additionally to this, I suggest you upgrade the WLC code to the latest 8.0, 8.2 or 8.3, because the 7.x tree doesn't anymore get any updates and there are several known security issues in 7.4.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card