Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure 1262 AP.

Hello guys thanks again for readme well I'm working with a 1262 Autonomous AP but I'm totally loss. I never work with Autonomus AP so there's my scenario.

Captura de pantalla 2013-10-23 a la(s) 10.09.45.png

So I have a lot of questions here and I hope you can help me.

1.- I'm just guessing but I can imeagine that my AP should be in my managenet segment? I was thinking in 192.168.2.1

2.- The switch 192.168.2.2 in the port that's is connected to my AP 1262 I have this configuration:

interface FastEthernet0/2

description AP1262

switchport trunk native vlan 81

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

So I'm not sure if this is correct.

3.- I wanto to create two SSID one called "Teachers" and the other one called "Students" my questions here are these:

I need to create another sub-interface on my router for example Fa0/0.30 with segment 192.168.30.0 /24 for Teachers and another

Fa0/0.40 192.168.40.0 /24 for students. Of course creating two SVI on my layer 3 Switch. ?

4.- Can works my layer 3 switch how DHCP server for my SSID's?  something like this:

vlan 30

name TEACHERS

!

vlan 40

name STUDENTS

!

interface Vlan30

ip address 192.168.30.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan40

ip address 192.168.40.1 255.255.255.0

ip dhcp pool TEACHERS

network 192.168.30.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.30.1

!

ip dhcp pool STUDENTS

network 192.168.40.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.40.1

!

5.- This is my AP configuration:

dot11 ssid TEACHER

vlan 30

authentication open

!

dot11 ssid STUDENTS

vlan 40

authentication open

!

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid TEACHER

ssid STUDENTS

station-role root bridge wireless-clients

interface BVI1

ip address 192.168.2.1

!

ip default-gateway 192.168.2.254

!

interface Dot11Radio0.30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

bridge-group 30

!

interface Dot11Radio0.81

encapsulation dot1Q 110 native

bridge-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet0.40

encapsulation dot1Q 40

bridge-group 40

!

interface FastEthernet0.81

encapsulation dot1Q 81 native

bridge-group 81

I'm really confused, I can not even see the SSID

thanks in advance

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You have not added SSID under the radio interfaces. SSID name (MAC-BOOK-PRO) you added to bring the interface up has not been defined.The defined SSID name was APPLE-MAC-BOOK

int d0

ssid APPLE-MAC-BOOK

!

int d1

ssid APPLE-MAC-BOOK

Also under d1.99 "native" keyword is missing.

interface Dot11Radio1.99

encapsulation dot1Q 99 native

Add those modification & check

Also did you change the switch port configuration according to your new vlan setup ?

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

Hi Daniel,

Glad to see you get it working.

I'll try to answer your queries like this

1. If you want your Autonomous AP for client to connect, then you can configure as Access Point, which you did in the above. If you want to connect another AP to your AP then there is 3 common options available

a. Wireless bridge (Root Bridge & Non-Root Bridge) : This is you can think of a wireless trunk link to take multiple vlan traffic across two different building where you do not have any wired option

b. Repeater : Simply extend wireless coverage, but througput wise reduce by half every hop you put in (not a good solution)

c. Work Group Bridge( Root Bridge & Work Group Bridge) : This is to connect wired client onto your wireless, specifically in industriall environment you may have certain machines (only have ethernet) with mobility, where you want to get them connected to your network (wireless is the only practical way). To support these you can configure an AP as WGB (nothing but AP configure as a client) & connect your wired client to ethernet & via radio it will connect to your wireless network.

Let's say you would have wireless bridge & you require non-root-bridge to connect wireless clients. If you use the same radio, bandwidth get shared & backhall link bandwidth is reduced. That's why it is recommended to have backhall using one radio (5GHz) & allow client to connect the other radio (2.4GHz)

2. You AP configured just as AP. If you want to extend your wireless coverage given by this AP, then you can put another AP & configured as a repeater for the first AP

3. If your intention is to connect client, then you can configure them as AP. Keep in mind since this is autonomous, each AP operating as independant unit. No communication each other (like RRM) & features like roaming is not easy. That's why Autonomous deployment in general enterprise network is no longer there.

4. Moving DHCP component to AP is very esay. You can cut & paste that config from your switch to AP.

HTH

Rasika

***** Pls rate all useful responses *****

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

you are correct on the approach & most of things are correct. Here is my response to your queries.

1. Yes, it is good idea to put AP management into seperate vlan. In your case you can put it onto 192.168.2.0/24 (assuming it is vlan 81)

2. Switch port configuration is correct. If you want you can restrict vlans needs to go to AP by putting "switchport trunk allow vlan 30,40,81). This is not mandatory step, but it is a good practice.

3. Yes, if your switch is L3 it is the best place to create SVI.

4. Regarding DHCP pool configuration you should have done some IP exclusions like below. If you want you can exclude only .1 IP, but I will alway exclude few more addresses in case I want to use them for other purposes. Rest of your pool configuration is correct

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.30.1 192.168.30.10

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.30.1 192.168.30.10

5. In AP configuration you got most of thing correct. Here are few small mistakes

A. In here native vlan should be 81 & not 110. Also for native vlan, bridge group should be 1 in both radio & ethernet sub-interfaces.

interface Dot11Radio0.81

encapsulation dot1Q 110 81 native

bridge-group 1

interface FastEthernet0.81

encapsulation dot1Q 81 native

bridge-group 81 1

B. In order to SSID to visible you have to configure it "guest mode". Since you have multiple ssid command should be "mbssid guest-mode" under SSID configuration.

dot11 ssid TEACHER

vlan 30

authentication open

mbssid guest-mode

!

dot11 ssid STUDENTS

vlan 40

authentication open

mbssid guest-mode

C. you should have create subinterface on both radio & fast ethernet side. sub-interface for vlan30 is missing on ethernet side & subinterface for vlan 40 is mission on radio side. So following to be added.

interface Dot11Radio0.40

encapsulation dot1Q 40

bridge-group 40

interface FastEthernet0.30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

bridge-group 30

D. Under radio interface you should configure it as "Root" access point, not as wireless bridge.

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid TEACHER

ssid STUDENTS

mbssid

station role root

station-role root bridge wireless-clients

Do these modification & see, things should work . If not let us know

HTH

Rasika

Hello Rasika.

Well I change the scenario for someting for easy.

Let me tell you about new scenario:

My Management vlan is : 99 with 192.168.2.0/24

Just one SSID for now MAC-BOOK-PRO

The SVI is in my Layer 3 Switch with 192.168.30.0 /24

This is my real configuration in my ap:

p#show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2462 bytes

!

version 12.4

no service pad

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname ap

!

logging rate-limit console 9

enable secret 5 $1$DA2t$XgdY3uWko/AwpCjruw6bB.

!

no aaa new-model

!

!

dot11 syslog

!

dot11 ssid APPLE-MAC-BOOK

vlan 30

authentication open

mbssid guest-mode

!        

!

!

username Cisco password 7 123A0C041104

!

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

antenna gain 0

mbssid

station-role root

!

interface Dot11Radio0.30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 30

bridge-group 30 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 30 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 30 source-learning

no bridge-group 30 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 30 spanning-disabled

!

interface Dot11Radio0.99

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface Dot11Radio1

no ip address

no ip route-cache

antenna gain 0

dfs band 3 block

mbssid

channel dfs

station-role root

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

!

interface Dot11Radio1.30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 30

bridge-group 30 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 30 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 30 unicast-flooding

!

interface Dot11Radio1.99

encapsulation dot1Q 99

no ip route-cache

!

interface GigabitEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

no keepalive

!

interface GigabitEthernet0.30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 30

!

interface GigabitEthernet0.99

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 1

!

interface BVI1

ip address 192.168.2.101 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 192.168.2.3

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag

bridge 1 route ip

!

!

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

login local

!

end

Something I missed because when I see the interface with: show interface brief I get this.

Dot11Radio0                unassigned      YES unset  reset                 down   

Dot11Radio1                unassigned      YES unset  reset                 down

I'm working with a Switch 3750 POE.

So I tried this:

ap#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

ap(config)#dot

ap(config)#dot11 ss

ap(config)#dot11 ssid MAC-BOOK-PRO

ap(config)#interface dot11radio 0

ap(config-if)#ssid MAC-BOOK-PRO

ap(config-if)#no shut

ap(config-if)#

*Mar  1 21:26:08.728: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

*Mar  1 21:26:08.782: %DOT11-6-FREQ_SCAN: Interface Dot11Radio0, Scanning frequencies for 24 seconds

*Mar  1 21:26:33.466: %DOT11-6-FREQ_USED: Interface Dot11Radio0, frequency 2457 selected

*Mar  1 21:26:33.469: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar  1 21:26:34.470: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar  1 21:26:43.964: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 21:26:44.964: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up

But Still I can not see the SSID.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

You have not added SSID under the radio interfaces. SSID name (MAC-BOOK-PRO) you added to bring the interface up has not been defined.The defined SSID name was APPLE-MAC-BOOK

int d0

ssid APPLE-MAC-BOOK

!

int d1

ssid APPLE-MAC-BOOK

Also under d1.99 "native" keyword is missing.

interface Dot11Radio1.99

Add those modification & check

Also did you change the switch port configuration according to your new vlan setup ?

HTH

Rasika

Thank you muy friend now is working. If don't bother you I have a few more questions:

I want to say I was reading your blog and you talk about three main roles on Autonomous AP, so my questions are:

1.- For Bridge mode, I was watching some videos  about it, and they said  that are designed for outdoor networt and you need to have two radios one for the backhaul and other for clients. So if your wireless networt desing is the easiest in indoor ambient wich of this three you recommend.

2.- Now my network is working but my AP is configured as repeater or just as AP?

3.- Ïn my desing. Imagine I have more layer 2 in different floors, Can I just configure them (AP's) as the first? or I need to choose one of the three roles?

4.- What happen if I can not setup a external DHCP, I know I can create DHCP server in cisco AP, but this DHCP will be for my wireless clients? how to configure this? and how much change my configuration now?

Thanks for your advices

Hi Daniel,

Glad to see you get it working.

I'll try to answer your queries like this

1. If you want your Autonomous AP for client to connect, then you can configure as Access Point, which you did in the above. If you want to connect another AP to your AP then there is 3 common options available

a. Wireless bridge (Root Bridge & Non-Root Bridge) : This is you can think of a wireless trunk link to take multiple vlan traffic across two different building where you do not have any wired option

b. Repeater : Simply extend wireless coverage, but througput wise reduce by half every hop you put in (not a good solution)

c. Work Group Bridge( Root Bridge & Work Group Bridge) : This is to connect wired client onto your wireless, specifically in industriall environment you may have certain machines (only have ethernet) with mobility, where you want to get them connected to your network (wireless is the only practical way). To support these you can configure an AP as WGB (nothing but AP configure as a client) & connect your wired client to ethernet & via radio it will connect to your wireless network.

Let's say you would have wireless bridge & you require non-root-bridge to connect wireless clients. If you use the same radio, bandwidth get shared & backhall link bandwidth is reduced. That's why it is recommended to have backhall using one radio (5GHz) & allow client to connect the other radio (2.4GHz)

2. You AP configured just as AP. If you want to extend your wireless coverage given by this AP, then you can put another AP & configured as a repeater for the first AP

3. If your intention is to connect client, then you can configure them as AP. Keep in mind since this is autonomous, each AP operating as independant unit. No communication each other (like RRM) & features like roaming is not easy. That's why Autonomous deployment in general enterprise network is no longer there.

4. Moving DHCP component to AP is very esay. You can cut & paste that config from your switch to AP.

HTH

Rasika

***** Pls rate all useful responses *****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card