Views
Helpful
Replies

how to jam rogue APs

adilhayat
Level 1
Level 1

Dear

I have detected several rogue APs in my company, one is with no security key. We are using 4402 WLC, i tried to contain those rogue APs , after this it shows these APs as contained, but no effect on SSID, still anyone can use it. Can someone tell me is it possible to disable rogue APs so that they are not used by employees. Thanks

16 Replies 16

Dear Leolaohoo

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. We are planning to roll  out wireless, I tracked that SSID using Netsumbler and It is too far from my building probably more than 100 m. Actually the one I was able to contain was my OWN SSID so I was just testing it. I said I was able to contain ONLY when I contain clients. Since that outside SSID is far away I was not able to contain, as u said that signal strength was very low. We plan to contact the rogue AP owners. Another thing I want to ask after rolling out our WLAN, should we permit some SSIDs that are within our building but physically isolated networks.

Regards

Hi Muhammad,

I tracked that SSID using Netsumbler and It is too far from my building probably more than 100 m.

We would be in big legal trouble if we, in Australia, contain a rogue AP that happens to be OUTSIDE our company's building.

Another thing I want to ask after rolling out our WLAN, should we permit some SSIDs that are within our building but physically isolated networks.

Allow SSID of your company that are part of an isolated network?  Like Development networks or DMZ?  Heck no!  I would never allow that in my wireless network.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card