Views
Helpful
Replies

How to migrate mesh AP c9124 AXE to a new WLC

jpo1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 4 APs c9124AXE working in mesh mode.

AP1 is the root , AP2-4 are mesh APs, all APs are connected to a virtual controller C9800-CL, but we received a new physical controller C9800-L-F-K9 and want to migrate these APs.

I tried adding the new controller as primary and the old controller as secondary for the root, but the AP was never able to authenticate with the new controller.

I added the mac address to the AAA section and configured authentication and authotization for the new controller.

I am not sure if the problem is because the AP has some tags in the old controller to work as flex+bridge and in the new controller needs to be local to start configuring it.

Could please someone with experience in these devices provide some advice about how should be the process to migrate these APs to the new controller?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make it easy for everyone:  Change the MESH AP mode (or role) to "local" mode.

And is there any risk doing this?, I mean can I lost the other mesh APs?, because the location of APs is difficult to get access to in case we need to console to reconfigure them.

@jpo1976 wrote:

And is there any risk doing this?, I mean can I lost the other mesh APs?, because the location of APs is difficult to get access to in case we need to console to reconfigure them.

I strongly recommend testing this method because the AP will do a factory reset and reboot. 

Make sure DHCP Option 43 is pointed to the new controller.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card