Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to migrate WLC 5508 to 9800??

We are planning to migrate WLC 5508 to 9800.

What should I pay attention to??

Licenses, compatible APs... and??

Does Cisco provide a guide for migration?

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Sure there is,

I would recomend you to take a look at this recorded live session that introduce you into migrating from AireOS to IOS-XE.

Then, regarding configuration, there is a tool inside C9800 to help you migrate the current configuration from AireOS, which is also available here. Please check it after using it as you may notice how the conversion tool deals with the policy profiles, as it will create one per AP group (now under flex profiles). This could or couldn't be your favourite way of doing this, as if you have a standardised deployment with the same VLANs accross your remote deployments, then you only need one and not as much as AP groups/Flex Profiles.

Best option from my point of view is take the output as reference, use the important pieces from it regarding network services, WLAN, RF profiles and AP profiles (maybe doing a little tune), and rebuild all about your Flex profiles (previously AP Groups) from scratch once you understant the pros and cons of having one per site or one or two for all of the deployment.

And the general recommendation is to create a PoC site, test it, learn how the pieces of configs work, test code upgrade methodologies, and the most important one, test all 802.11 standard and vendor owned features with your current deployment before starting to migrate building by builing.

HTH

Jesus

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Let me add to this… when doing any migration or even upgrades, you need to look at the following:
AP compatibility
Mobility compatibility (IRCM) if using
License changes to Smart License model
Also when migrating, you should look at what needs to change, what is not needed anymore, what should you clean up, how can you make your environment better. Migrating and swapping out AP’s doesn’t make things better nor is that a preferred way to migrate to a new system/model keeping the same design.

My way is to standup a new controller with the AP’s you will be using and start to build it out. Take time to do this work so that you can test your devices, authentication servers, management tools, etc. this way, you are comfortable migrating and understand what works and doesn’t along with your steps.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKEWN-2004.pdf .  whilst the whole document is useful , you may want to start reading from AireOS – C9800 migration steps and also Moving APs between Controllers

Once  , you are production ready on  the 9800 have a review of the configuration with the CLI command : show  tech wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Agree with the approach suggested by Jesus, Scott & Marcel. Pls go through those sessions/documents.

In my experience, it is important you spend time understanding new configuration models (tags/profiles) rather than always think from AireOS view point (AP Group/FlexConnect group & try to see what is equivalent config/command). Also, we do not configure dynamic interfaces (SVI) on 9800 (only management SVI). Therefore even if config migration tools give you equivalent SVI config on 9800, it is not recommended. Here is the link to best practices config guides
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html

Here are some of my blog posts related to 9800, you may find them useful (starts with 9800-Tags & 9800- Client Troubleshooting posts)

https://mrncciew.com/category/9800/  

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

7 Replies 7

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Sure there is,

I would recomend you to take a look at this recorded live session that introduce you into migrating from AireOS to IOS-XE.

Then, regarding configuration, there is a tool inside C9800 to help you migrate the current configuration from AireOS, which is also available here. Please check it after using it as you may notice how the conversion tool deals with the policy profiles, as it will create one per AP group (now under flex profiles). This could or couldn't be your favourite way of doing this, as if you have a standardised deployment with the same VLANs accross your remote deployments, then you only need one and not as much as AP groups/Flex Profiles.

Best option from my point of view is take the output as reference, use the important pieces from it regarding network services, WLAN, RF profiles and AP profiles (maybe doing a little tune), and rebuild all about your Flex profiles (previously AP Groups) from scratch once you understant the pros and cons of having one per site or one or two for all of the deployment.

And the general recommendation is to create a PoC site, test it, learn how the pieces of configs work, test code upgrade methodologies, and the most important one, test all 802.11 standard and vendor owned features with your current deployment before starting to migrate building by builing.

HTH

Jesus

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Let me add to this… when doing any migration or even upgrades, you need to look at the following:
AP compatibility
Mobility compatibility (IRCM) if using
License changes to Smart License model
Also when migrating, you should look at what needs to change, what is not needed anymore, what should you clean up, how can you make your environment better. Migrating and swapping out AP’s doesn’t make things better nor is that a preferred way to migrate to a new system/model keeping the same design.

My way is to standup a new controller with the AP’s you will be using and start to build it out. Take time to do this work so that you can test your devices, authentication servers, management tools, etc. this way, you are comfortable migrating and understand what works and doesn’t along with your steps.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKEWN-2004.pdf .  whilst the whole document is useful , you may want to start reading from AireOS – C9800 migration steps and also Moving APs between Controllers

Once  , you are production ready on  the 9800 have a review of the configuration with the CLI command : show  tech wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Agree with the approach suggested by Jesus, Scott & Marcel. Pls go through those sessions/documents.

In my experience, it is important you spend time understanding new configuration models (tags/profiles) rather than always think from AireOS view point (AP Group/FlexConnect group & try to see what is equivalent config/command). Also, we do not configure dynamic interfaces (SVI) on 9800 (only management SVI). Therefore even if config migration tools give you equivalent SVI config on 9800, it is not recommended. Here is the link to best practices config guides
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html

Here are some of my blog posts related to 9800, you may find them useful (starts with 9800-Tags & 9800- Client Troubleshooting posts)

https://mrncciew.com/category/9800/  

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

It's been a year since I've been in the middle of a long time, but I want to let you know that the project has been completed well.

However, there was an issue then and I still don't know why.

In the 2800 AP, the primary-base was changed to 9800,
The 2800 AP that was joined to the 5520 was not re-joined to the 9800 controller.

In the end, I was able to join the 9800 by shutting down the 5500 WLC and broadcasting the discovery packet of the 2800 AP.

How can I move the APs to the new WLC??

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

You will need to factory reset AP config either on WLC using command 'clear ap config <APName>' or on AP console using 'capwap ap erase all' in order for the AP to forget about any previous WLC.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card