cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove an AP from Cisco Catalyst C9800-CL wireless controller?

connorotterbeck
Level 1
Level 1

I have just replaced an AP with a newer AP and the new AP is online and working but I have no clue how to remove the old ap from the WLC and it just shows as not joined. Any help would be grateful!

This is what we see 

connorotterbeck_0-1704209075433.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RoadRunner4k
Level 1
Level 1

If the "old " APs are still connected I would go to setting on each AP and clear the config (clear all config) for each AP that are not in production anymore.

APs that are not online anymore you can remove them (but if the come online they will join again)  but if you clear the config they will not broadcast anything since they don´t got a tag assigned.

If its just to remove the AP ( from not joined list) go to  and clear each AP that are not active anymore.

RoadRunner4k_2-1704284429261.png

RoadRunner4k_1-1704284285385.png

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@connorotterbeck 

Choose Monitor > Statistics > AP Join to open the AP Join Stats page.
This page lists all of the access points that are joined to the controller or that have tried to join. It shows the radio MAC address, access point name, current join status, Ethernet MAC address, IP address, and last join time for each access point.

The total number of access points appears in the upper right-hand corner of the page. If the list of access points spans multiple pages, you can view these pages by clicking the page number links. Each page shows the join statistics for up to 25 access points.

If you want to remove an access point from the list, hover your cursor over the blue drop-down arrow for that access point and click Remove.

if you want to clear the statistics for all access points and start over, click Clear Stats on All APs.
Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

connorotterbeck
Level 1
Level 1

I don't want to reset them, I want to completely remove a single down AP from the WLC. My menu looks like this as well: 

connorotterbeck_0-1704208932222.png

connorotterbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, but I couldn't find anything useful

?  the old AP is obviously still plugged in.  un plug it.

when an AP boots up, it does a DNS serach for cisco lwapp/capwap controller and will touch everything it hears. it will generally, but not always, stick on its assigned mwar. 

It isn't plugged in as it is on the desk next to me and is not plugged in. However, it still shows as not joined.

Friend if you power off the AP then it will disappear after discovery timeout end.

If you power on and AP detect WLC IP then it try to join WLC always and you need to config authz list and specify Mac of AP can join the WLC.

MHM

I'm not sure what to tell you as it is still showing on the WLC but it has been powered off since 3pm yesterday.

monitoring -> wireless -> AP statistics -> Join statistics 
share what you see here  

Since there are 147 aps I will send you three that include the one I want to remove that is in the middle and 2 APs that are operational. I have blanked out the Names, IPs and MAC addresses. There is no button to remove the AP on the join statistics page:

connorotterbeck_0-1704278022333.png

RoadRunner4k
Level 1
Level 1

If the "old " APs are still connected I would go to setting on each AP and clear the config (clear all config) for each AP that are not in production anymore.

APs that are not online anymore you can remove them (but if the come online they will join again)  but if you clear the config they will not broadcast anything since they don´t got a tag assigned.

If its just to remove the AP ( from not joined list) go to  and clear each AP that are not active anymore.

RoadRunner4k_2-1704284429261.png

RoadRunner4k_1-1704284285385.png

Thank you very much, that has removed it from the list now

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card