Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-3g-HSPA-G firmware or hardware failing

BAITnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Within the space of a few days we've had 2  HWIC-3G-HSPA-G cards appear to fail on different router models.

In each case the sh cell x/x/x hardware output is empty i.e no firmware version or other data provided and the radio status is off.

Attempts to force the interface down using the test ....modem-power-cycle or radio-power off get the same error message that the modem is still in reset..

Reloading the router does not clear this so we recently tried to update the firmware using the latest version off CCO.

The upgrade using the microcode commands failed with an error of "unable to determine the modem state".

Is anyone else having problems like this or could suggest a cause?

5 Replies 5

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

if show cell hardware does not report anything, it may be that IOS cannot communicate with the modem. If that's the case, then I would expect the microcode update to fail.

can you paste here the output of show cell, and the line config?

Were these cards working fine before? Do you have another router with a working 3G card, to attempt to swap the cards?

Both cards have been working for over 6 months, no changes have been made to the IOS on the routers, or the running configuration.

One router is a 2811 and one is a 2901

The router still recognises the hardware is there as you can see it with a show inventory command.

One of the cards is being replaced tomorrow.

If config hasn't changed, then it definitely looks like hardware issue. It seems that IOS is able to detect the card, but unable to communicate with the onboard card software.

Let me know if the new card works fine.

Cheers

Marco

Andrew Woolman
Level 1
Level 1

We have a number of cards with the same issue. It appears to be a hardware problem.

Hi Andrew,

Apologies I should have closed this earlier, you're right it is the hardware, specifically the sierra wireless module on the HWIC that died. I was able to transplant modems between HWICs to prove this was the case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card