Helpful
Replies

Implementing HA N+1 and FlexConnect Local Switching Combined

rizkypahlevips
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I want to ask a question,

I have 2 Office (HQ and Branch), both using WLC 2504 with software version 8.5,  in those Office(s) i've configured an Employee SSID on each WLCs with a same SSID name, different subnets and different VLAN, both using Locally Switched FlexConnect. the VLAN gateways are on each Office (HQ is using VLAN 68 and Branch is using VLAN 59)

I have tried to configure the N+1 as well, with the Branch as Secondary WLC for HQ and in reverse,  then i tried to shut down one of the WLCs to test the redundancy (i've tried shutting down both of the WLC, one at a time, to check the failover).  the AP Failover was successful, but when i tried to connect to the AP that has been failover'd to the secondary WLC, the endpoint client cannot get IP Address from the DHCP. the DHCP is located at the L3 Switch on both Office, and the connection from HQ to  Branch is using xconnect L2TP.

is it possible to Implement these combination? if yes, is there any specific requirements that must be met?

please help....

3 Replies 3

Are you using the same WLAN ID and map that WLAN ID to the same vlan in both WLCs? (in FlexConnect configuration)

If the configuration identical, it should work.

Anyway in FlexConnect configuration, your AP should able to work without WLC as well. So having N+1 for that scenario may not be required as well

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes its 

@Rasika Nayanajith wrote:

Are you using the same WLAN ID and map that WLAN ID to the same vlan in both WLCs? (in FlexConnect configuration)

If the configuration identical, it should work.

Anyway in FlexConnect configuration, your AP should able to work without WLC as well. So having N+1 for that scenario may not be required as well

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes its using the same WLAN ID but the VLAN is different, the HQ is using VLAN 68 and Branch is using VLAN 59. So Should i use the same VLAN on both WLCs then?

My goal is that when one of the WLC down, it will failover to the secondary (the HA N+1). But when both of the WLCs down, the APs could still work (the FlexConnect Local Switching Configuration).

Thats why i'm combining the HA N+1 and the FlexConnect Local Switching Configuration

LukaszC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you manage to setup it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card