cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to block MAC on AP?

Mark Mattix
Level 2
Level 2

Is there is a way to block a specific MAC address from associating with an Acces Point yet still allow them to connect to the SSID that a different AP is also broadcasting? I have read some posts that talk about doing this with ACLs on the AP but I was wondering if it's possible in a WLC?

Here's my problem, I have 5 APs broadcasting the SSID, CISCONETWORK. Some stations connect to the AP that is further away which means a weaker signal and them constantly dropping a connection. I want to block the MAC from associating with 4 of the 5 APs to where the client ultimatly can only associate with the closest AP. The station's wireless NIC is also updated.

If my only option is to use an ACL could this only be applied to specific APs and not globally because I still need the client to connect to the same SSID of ones that will also be blocked.

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ACL's on the WLC are applied to a WLAN or to an interface, not to a specific AP, like you would in IOS.

What rates do you have enabled?  1,2,5.5,6,9 should be disabled.  if you are purely A/G/N you could probably get away with disabling everything below 18, if you have a desinged to a -75ish cell edge.  This should keep the client from hearing an AP that is too far away

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

i dont know how you can do that and i think it doesnt make sense.

what is if your client moves through the building? If you block him from nearly all APs, there is no mobility at all.

Check the Client and if possible upgrade driver and firmware.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ACL's on the WLC are applied to a WLAN or to an interface, not to a specific AP, like you would in IOS.

What rates do you have enabled?  1,2,5.5,6,9 should be disabled.  if you are purely A/G/N you could probably get away with disabling everything below 18, if you have a desinged to a -75ish cell edge.  This should keep the client from hearing an AP that is too far away

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, I'm still pretty new to using the WLC and WCS, so please bear with me. Where can I find the settings for the cell edge? Once I set the desired cell edge signal, will the WLC adjust the power output in order to create the desired cells? Also, currently all data rates are being supported. Thanks a lot for your help!

tonyffo86, the client is at a permanent location and the device has all updated drivers and firmware.

The cell edge would have been defined during the site survey. If you had one done you can go hover between the AP and see what the single is. If you didn't have one, you can try disabling everything below 11/12 and see if that helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

On a 1252 LAP is there an equivalent speed to signal? Like if the device connects to the AP that has a constant signal of -73 what data rates could I block up to, that would allow a connection to be established when the client got a signal at -70 or better?

Thanks!

On a WLC you can find those settings at Wireless/802.11g on the left hand side/Network. You will see all the data rates and on the drop down disable 1,2,5.5 and 11mbps data rates. This will prevent clients from associating at those d/r. Be cautioned however that some legacy devices as well as some smartphones 'may' not connect at all. Additionally if there are numerous retries on a client they will start downshifting to an acceptable d/r and if they decide 11mbps is acceptable but it's disabled they won't connect. That's why site survey,design for client, and careful planning are extremely important.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Is it possible to change only 1 AP's supported speeds and not globally change all APs?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card