Helpful
Replies

ISE - Cannot cancel backup process

ruud.manders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The backup process has stalled; Moving Backup file to the repository

There was a problem with the backup server during this process. 

Now it doesn't proceed with the move.

Is there a way to cancel this operation?

Using the Cancel link is not allowed: Backup file is currently being transferred to the repository. Cancel is not permitted

Anyone who knows what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ruud

12 Replies 12

csco11552159
Level 5
Level 5

how do you solve it ? 

i have same problem.

__Beth__
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else that may have this issue, the only way I know how to resolve it is to reload ISE.  

whats your version and patch ? what protocol did you use for backup ?

I have seen something similar with scp with one of my customer.

-hope this helps-

Currently, 1.4 Patch 10.  We use FTP.  I also had it happen with 2.1, which was a miserable experience.  So bad, we rolled back. 

I have found elsewhere in supportforums that performing a manual CLI backup will unhang a backup. I have not tried it though ... yet

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/security-and-network-management/ise-backup-process-hangs-in-cancelation/td-p/2713825

I have had problems with the op backup hanging.  Also we have frequent failures of the config backup so we are hesitant to confound problems further by scheduling a ops backup.

Ver 2.1 patch 3

I had the same problem with my deployment just now (ISE 2.1, patch 3). Can confirm that starting a backup from CLI (backup name repository respositoryname ise-config encryption-key encryptionkey) has put it back to normal.

The CLI backup trick did not cancel the GUI backup. We are 2.1 Patch 3

We had to reload.

The message below is my CLI backup being cancelled because the GUI one was in progress.

ise/admin# backup GSS_ISE_CLI repo ********* ise-config encry plain *************

% Warning: Waiting up to 1200 seconds for APP_BACKUP to finish...

% Warning: Cannot continue backup as APP_BACKUP is running

% The backup is cancelled

ise/admin#

CSCvc28417

ISE back-up fails intermittently from CLI and GUI.

Had the same issue on ISE 2.3 patch 1. Resolved starting backup for cfg and oper data from the CLI.

Thanks,

Rick.

2.3 patch 1 for us startign from the CLI did the trick as well

rhuel.phils
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem too. Can anyone confirm if Reload ISE is the only way to resolve this?

Thanks!

Yes this is a bug in version 2.3 Patch 1. You can either reload or issue "Application stop ise"

This has been confirmed as fixed in Patch 2, which is the reason i had ours upgraded

we are on v2.3 patch 3

issuing "application stop ise" results in the following: 

Waiting up to 20 seconds for lock: APP_BACKUP APP_BACKUP to complete
Database is still locked by lock: APP_BACKUP APP_BACKUP. Aborting. Please try it later
% Error: Another ISE DB process (APP_BACKUP APP_BACKUP) is in progress, cannot perform Application Stop at this time

issuing "backup name repository respositoryname ise-config encryption-key encryptionkey" results in the following:

% Warning: Waiting up to 1200 seconds for APP_BACKUP to finish...

% Warning: Cannot continue backup as APP_BACKUP is running
% The backup is cancelled

at this point, planning to reload. for future reference though, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: