Views
Helpful
Replies

issues with WLC 9800-CL smart license

nporcelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I am having lots of trouble with the licenses on a new 9800-CL version 17.6.3, this is the first time I am dealing with this device.

First the license page on the weui is not loading, snapshot attached.

Second I have the customer licenses loaded to the portal and associated to their on-prem SSM. I tried to configure the WLC to register to the on-prem but it seems not to be working, I followed the info from the following document

"Configure & Troubleshoot Catalyst 9800 WLC Licensing with Smart Licensing Using Policy (SLUP)"

I also attached the output from the following command to show the main config and the License status/logs.

I tested communication on port 443 to the on-prem and it looks ok (in the txt file).

I tried both smart transport method :

license smart transport smart

license smart transport cslu

on the on-prem I cannot see any registration attempts 

anyone having similar problems?

thanks

Nicola

22 Replies 22

Works fine for me on 17.6.2 and 17.9.1 using Firefox 68.12.0.esr

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Working fine for us on 17.6.2 but we are not using on-prem.

Have you followed https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html ?

In particular: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html#WebuserinterfaceWebUI

Thanks. I just tried increasing the "line vty 5" from 15 to 50 and added the tcp-keepalives as best practices/recommended. No change to "licensing" WUI screen which just displays the spinning wheel of dots.

stan.hung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi :

I am also in the same situation as you, I installed 17.6.3 on C9800-80, and because I think 17.3 is ready to stop maintenance, so I updated it to 17.6.3, and the licensing problem also occurred. Later, I can see it using Firefox. But it is best to connect to the Internet, and other browsers will not be able to display it. For your reference, thank you

I would just ignore it unless it is 9800-CL, there is no license enforcement in any physical 9800 appliances till date. 

Even if you want, if the WLC's are not in HA SSO, I prefer to user SLR or PLR, or arrange Internet access to WLC management interface (highly recommended to restrict access using a Firewall to required FQDN's) so SSM can be synced. On-prem has always been garbage, I do not prefer using it.

Agreed with @Arshad Safrulla - on-prem server was an ongoing nightmare so we eventually went for direct access to CSSM, strictly filtered to only allow https access to tools.cisco.com and smartreceiver.cisco.com.

ShahrulEzwvn
Level 1
Level 1

Any solutions for this issue? Seems like im getting this problem as well after

Daviid Kumer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, had the same problem on the C9800-L-F running 17.6.3. An upgrade to the 17.6.4 software version solved the issues for me.

BR

David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card