cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
OrkhanRustamli
Beginner

Lack of 5ghz Channels...U-NII-3

Hello everyone.

I am having problem with assigning wireless channels among my APs. The problem is my workplace is consist of 2 buildings and each has4 floors with high density of people. Before allocating the APs, we ordered Wi-Fi survey from service company and based on report we have installed 4 - 3 in each floor. 

Initially I have enabled all channels available in DCA configuration (U-NII-1 and 2) but by time I got a lot of complaints that Wi-Fi is randomly dropping. After troubleshooting I saw that APs are hearing from DFS channels (even though they could be false positive) and changing their channels frequently which forced me to enable only 36-40-44-48 which are not DFS. 

However, they were also not enough, as access points are getting high number of clients (15-20) and I have to use 80MHz which creates interferences as all neighbor access points are using the same channels. 

I though to enable U-NII-3 Channels which are not DFS as it is shown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels here that in Europe they are allowed but I don`s see these channels under DCA Configuration. What is the reason?

How else I can fix my problem?

WLC Version: 8.5.160.4

AP Regulatory Domain: E

Current Country Code: EE (Estonia) 

4 REPLIES 4
Nicolas Poirier
Enthusiast

You can refer to this document from Cisco that shows that, on Cisco Controllers, channels 144 to 173 are not supported for the E regulatory domain.
In your situation, I would configure the channel width to 20 MHz as 80 MHz is probably the worst thing possible with only 4 channels in use, due to CCI. Especially if you have a high density of users in your campus.

Cisco-WLC-E-regulatory-channels.jpg