cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Laptop Getting Different IP addresses

lokanath.i
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop Getting Different IP address While moving from one Access Point to other Access Point 9130. 

Controller is 9800. 

Controller verison:17.9.3

Access Points:17.9.3.50

there are three Pools we have for users. 

Below are the IP addresses. while roaming, This Ip address are getting into my machine. 

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.136.202.183(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 12, 2023 10:28:05 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 12, 2023 3:08:57 PM

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.138.227.40(Preferred)   when I was getting this IP, I continuesly disconnecting from the Microsoft teams and Outlook.  
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 12, 2023 2:09:55 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 12, 2023 3:09:53 PM

where ever this IP address <10.138.227.40> comes in that access Points Area we are getting internet issue. 

7 Replies 7

Hi

"there are three Pools we have for users. " and this IP 10.138.227.40 belongs to one Pool?

yes, this is one pool 

I would recommend to check this Pool config on the DHCP server and make sure the correct information like Gateway and DNS server are sent to the clients who consume IP from this pool.

But, you should not change the IP address while roaming. It also worth it take a look on the AP configuration and compare with the others.  

You have l2 roaming not l3 roaming that why the client get different IP when move from point to point 

Layer 3 roaming is similar to Layer 2 roaming in that the controllers exchange mobility messages on the client roam. However, instead of moving the client database entry to the new controller, the original controller marks the client with an “Anchor” entry in its own client database. The database entry is copied to the new controller client database, where it is marked with a “Foreign” entry. The roam remains transparent to the wireless client, and the client maintains its original IP address.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a checkup review of the 9800 controller configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless ;  have the output analyzed with : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Are these APs all on the same controller?

> there are three Pools we have for users. 
How is that set up?
Is it vlan group on single SSID? Different SSIDs with different pools?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card