cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Laptops losing internet capabilities in wireless controller.

asmolens
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen an issue with the Cisco 5508 model wireless controller where it is randomly dropping clients IP addresses ( specifically Lenovo users and noone else )? They connect to the SSID surf the web then eventually get lose wireless, They are still connected to the SSID but lose internet and ipv4 address. 

5 Replies 5

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This symptom may be due to drivers. Upgrade the wireless NIC's to the latest drivers. Once done if the issue still persist, please post a debug client output from WLC for an impacted client.

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

very short DHCP lease time?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This issue is only affecting Lenovo laptops?  Are all the laptops of the same model?  What is the exact model number of the wireless NIC?  What is the exact version of the firmware of the wireless NIC?

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Which code release are you running? Does your APs work in Fleconnect mode?  Which AP model is affected (COS-AP)?

I've experienced similar issues in c9800 with COS-APs and at the end I was hitting CSCvw30043 that is fixed in 17.3.3.

My symptoms were that all locally forwarded clients (laptops) connected to some APs were not receiving DHCP Offer so losing the IP address, but centrally forwarded clients were working fine (BYOD and Guest devices). This happened every 20 days more or less, aand always to the same APs. Bouncing the radio interface did the trick if not updating the code.

As AP firmware is shared between c9800 and AireOS WLCs, check if this is something that maybe fixed with the latest code.

Moreover, I've experienced similar issues with IOS-APs but due to the fact that these APs are not receiving new code updates nor TAC is investigating the issues due to the previous fact, there is nothing we can do except swap them by COS-APs.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

A few years back we had a similar problem after IT team pushed a Windows firewall policy update which prevented the PC from doing a DHCP renew so that's another thing to consider.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card