Views
Helpful
Replies

Light Weight Access Point’s availability Report from Cisco WCS Server or WLC

Mayank Nauni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there any way to generate availability report (i.e. total uptime of the access points) from the WCS or WLC server. We need to furnish this monthly report to the client for SLA calculation.

Regards,

Mayank Nauni

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

How many times the AP rebooted

The switch can tell you how many times an AP went off line.  If Syslog is configured it will generate alarms too.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On the WCS...

Reports >                                                                                   Report Launch Pad  > Device                                          > Up Time

UP TIME is the report that gives what ur looking for!!

lemme know if this answered ur question and dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

Thanks for the response, well Up time reports just gives us the time since the device was last rebooted... it won’t give me monthly availability report.

Regards,

Mayank Nauni

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

Running the report once a month and taking the relative time may solve the issue!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

Well Mate that report will not be precise enough to calculate SLA, I am surprised that such a costly management device isn’t capable enough to generate monthly availability report

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

Wat do u want inthe monthly report?? we can schedule the report for a specific day though!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

My requirement is that at the end of the month, I should be able to see the total uptime of all access points.

Thanks and Regards,

Mayank  Nauni

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

AP up time is nothing but the time span between the AP last rebooted and current time.. if we run the Report every month, then we do get the results right?? if we run the report the second month, then the total up time will be sum of the first and the second.. When ever the AP reboots then the AP uptime wil reset!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the suggestion... but I still have a query. Let’s take an example, I have run the report today i.e. 1st of January; I know what is the present status of my devices i.e. when they were last rebooted. I am going to run another report on 30th Jan, which would tell me the time since they were last rebooted again, but what if the devices were rebooted several times during this period. Even if we run such report everyday it wouldn’t give us the precise uptime, what is your opinion about it?

Mayank

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

Will we be able to fetch something from the WLC ???

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

So you are looking for UP TIME + How many times the AP rebooted?? WLC will give us the same info i guess..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes Precisely Surendra, can you further guide me how to do that

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

I guess just a single report may not give us the answer!! we need to tally between Multiple reports.. one for AP Up time and then one for Radio up/Down and then TRAP logs or the msg logs on the WLC..

Feel free to open up a TAC case.. if required we need to raise an Enhancement Request!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendar,

Thanks a lot for your support mate; a TAC Case was already opened for the same but we aren’t getting satisfactory answers till now; however I am amazed as WCS or WLC isn’t capable enough to generate such basic reports. There has to be some MIB on the WLC which would generate the desired results on polling …

It will prove to be very expensive to me as I have to dedicate licenses for each AP on my NNM which is impractical and nullifies the deployment of other Wi-Fi specific monitoring appliances.

Regards,

Mayank Nauni

-Regards,
Mayank Nauni
CCIE#48541
Cisco Champion 2019

How many times the AP rebooted

The switch can tell you how many times an AP went off line.  If Syslog is configured it will generate alarms too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: