Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking access point for around 50-70 people

marekkowalski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking Cisco AP for about 50-70 people. This is small conferance room. It will be great to have a/b/g/n dual band and PoE. Do you have any opinion, suggestions?

Thank you

Mark

13 Replies 13

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd probably recommend the 2602i, it's A/B/G/N POE and can be aIOS or CUWN.

but I'd also say that you really want two AP in that room to cover that many people.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

We use 3502i AP's and generally find that 25 people on an AP is about all we want.

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

It's all a question of budget VS functionality... Any of the 700, 1600, 2600, 3600 APs will do what you've asked for, but how deep are your pockets and what extra functionality, performance and reliability do you want?

700 = dual-radio, 2x2:2, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 300Mbps
1600 = dual radio, 2x3:2, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 300Mbps and will get CleanAir Express in the future.
2600 = dual radio, 3x4:3, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 450Mbps and has full CleanAir functionality.
3600 = dual radio, 4x4:3, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 450Mbps, full CleanAir functionality and has modular expansion slot to support 802.11AC Module (1.3Gbps), or WSSI Module (Security Monitoring enhancement).

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Good post rich! +5

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have a controller are you looking to do autonomous ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I totally agree with Richard's post. It's all a question of budget VS functionality... Any of the 700, 1600,  2600, 3600 APs will do what you've asked for.

Yes, it's possible to have 50 people with any access point, but it's not recommended.

If just one computer uses 802.11b then it will affect the bandwidth of every other single computer. So you will have a degraded service.

Eve though you have a small scenario you need a wireless design and unfortunately wireless design has a lot of details. Yo have to take into account not only the amount of computers, but also the standard they support (ideally all will use 802.11n, but personally I have never found that scenario), what service do you require (data ? voice? location? a mixture of those services?), the antennas of the endpoints (for example most smartphones have poor antennas while a regular laptop have better antennas).

I will recommend you to try Cisco Meraki access points. You can try with 3 access points, the great thing about Meraki is that you can ask for a free trial so you could test yourself your scenario. Please see this link to request a free trial

http://meraki.cisco.com/lp/free-demo

Please rate if this helps

blenka
Level 3
Level 3

As it is a conference room the room should not be exceeding more than 30 to 40 mtrs. So be advice you can go with the ap model mention below. Yes the users are more, but as it is conference room all are just needed to be in the network and one will share video or the presentation so 1 AP should be enough as supporting N. 

AIR-SAP1602I-N-K9     ( if you don’t have wireless controller )

802.11a/g/n Standalone AP, Int Ant, N Reg Domain

AIR-CAP1602E-N-K9 ( if you have controller )

802.11a/g/n Ctrlr-based AP, Ext Ant, N Reg Domain

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

Its more logical to go for  3600 AP for the following reason and better ROI only due to 802.11 ac (support)

3600 = dual radio, 4x4:3, 802.11a/b/g/n up to 450Mbps, full CleanAir functionality and has modular expansion slot to support 802.11AC Module (1.3Gbps), or WSSI Module (Security Monitoring enhancement).

U guys kill me

LOL

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may select from any 1600/2600/3600 as per your budgets.

mbaez
Level 1
Level 1

Mark

There is couple of consideration

1- Use  (Voice, Data, Video Stream)

2- Square Foot/ Square Meter

3- Facility Material / Enviroment (due to RF will work odd on different enviroment)

4- Qty of user vs. number of devices

5- Security (Wireless Web Auth Portal / Cisco ISE)

Based on your information and using as base that you have not specify number 1 & 4

50 to 70 user with 2 devices (laptop and smartphone) with all feature (voice/data/video stream) i will be safe to put 3 WAP on the 2600 or 3600 model.... if in the future are you looking to have 802.11ac I will say go for the 3600 and a later date add the 802.11ac module as well if you do have an enterprise contract with AT&T you might want to add the 3G/4G module on 1 of 3 Cisco 3600 and talk to AT&T to have it connected to there network

I hope this help

if anything let me know

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: