cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost packets over bridged network

westmanm
Level 1
Level 1

I have a large complicated bridged network between buildings. I have noticed periodically during the day, such as 7:20 am (probably offices logging in) and then another one at approx 6pm (I am guessing a backup of some sort) where the continuous pings I run to each of the radios goes from a 20ms or less (typical) ping response to 2000-4000ms or even lost packets. The 2000-4000ms pings can last 10-30 minutes sometimes, but my users are mad when it lasts 2 minutes. As I monitor this throughout the day, I notice the long ping times are associated with my users calling the help desk, complaining about a slow network. It appears that there is some type of traffic that causes the network to become real bad. I have been on the phone with TAC for many hours working radio configs assuming it was a radio interference problem, but I think it has something to do with some kind of bad traffic problem. One system of note is a drivers license system that was recently added. Someone told me that it was an ethernet system that someone made run on Token Ring and now put it back to ethernet. Some setting problem?? Packet size??

Back to the basic question, why do I get ping times that go to 2000-4000ms from the typical 20 ms during heavy traffic? This system runs from 6:15pm to 7:15am (13 hours at night) without a hitch...

2 Replies 2

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

To me sounds like you *may* be seeing congestion

Do you see a lot of holdoffs and drops on the radio stats page ? If so this is congestion.

Try setting the ethernet port and switch port to both 10 half duplex this is due to the fact it most closely matches the radio at 11 m half duplex

Also look at any possible source of interference as if you have interference then the congestion will be seen much sooner than 11m

1 It is not interference ! else it would be unstable throughout.

It is excessive load at these specific hours , hence the buffer getting full or

overflowed as well as multicast passing heavily at this time.

Are users authenticating from the other side of the network or they are trying to access the data stored on the other side ..?

Well change the data rate 5.5 and 11.0 to yes this will restrict the multicast/broadcast to pass through 2.0 mbps.

Change the Association -> Advance values to 0 (infinite).

2 Change the Ethernet value to 100 half duplex on both sides. (BR and Switch) dont change it to 10 BaseT else u will move to worse... since there are certain aspects to 10 BaseT which are not good.

Please revert with updates, it will be good to work on this issue

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card