Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac filter with Web Policy passthrough

AECOMpete_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Our guest WLAN uses passthrough web policy. This forces the user to agree to our AUP via a web redirect splash page before getting on the network.

We now have a use case where we want to allow some devices to bypass the splash page.

We've enabled 'mac filtering' on layer 2 security and 'On MAC filter failure' for layer 3 security. The client whose mac address is in the Local MAC Filter gets on without hitting the splash page (which is good), Clients who are not defined in the Local MAC Filter are redirected to the splash page (this is also good). The problem is when the user clicks the accept button to get on the network they see an error message that the username and password is not valid.. 

It seems to me that  'On MAC filter failure' is not allowing us to use passthrough as the web auth method.. But I haven't found any documentation on this yet.. Can anyone validate this for me? Better yet, does anyone know of a way to get this working??

Thanks,

Pete

2 Replies 2

karlcisn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi, you may need to take a look at this bug:

web auth on mac filter failure is not supported with passtrough

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtw73512/?reffering_site=dumpcr

This isn't a fix per se, but could you put a custom web page and modify the code in the page so that it puts in a username and password on the form fields so on submit it passes those without the user having to do anything? The only downside is you wouldn't be able to change the username or password without modifying the code. 

I had a friend that did something like this, and hide the username, and set the password to "agree". This way they had to type agree and click OK. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card