Helpful
Replies

MBSSID and Dynamic Vlan - WHY ?

sylvain.munaut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some 1130AG access point and I'd like to have :

- Multiple broadcasted SSIDs (because most of my clients are OSX and OSX doesn't deal with hidden SSID at all ! the clients have to enter the data each time which for WPA2 enterprise is really annoying)

- Dynamic VLAN assignement (so my clients don't have to know to which VLAN they belong and so I can easily change them from one to another).

As it turns out, it's apparently not supported to have both.

But I can't understand WHY ? What exactly is the relation between those features ? What's the underlying technical constraint ?

For eg. I can understand the cipher suite must match between all the dynamic vlan because of the way wlan works, but for this, I really don't see what the problem is ... (Especially since I only have one of the SSID that needs dynamic assignement, the other is really the 'guest' one).

4 Replies 4

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

THis is not supported!!

Here is the link that states the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b-chap7-mbssid.html#wp1054822

the reason is.. L3 moboility does not support this..

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

I know it's not supported ... which is a shame.

What I wanted to know is a reason. You said "L3 mobility", what's that exactly ?

Is it just a limitation of IOS itself ?

Or is there something in the 802.11 / EAP protocol/standards itself that prevents this ?

And if it's just a software limitation, is there any plan to lift it ? I've seen several people complaining of the same thing because both are obviously very useful feature and not being able to use both at once is a shame.

Cheers,

Sylvain

The GRE tunnel used between the AP and the WSLM does not support this, thats y L3 Mobility.. However.. Yes its a IOS limitation and no we do not have any plans for this feature.. Please speak with your Accounts team for further info as well!!

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Oh, but I have them in autonomous mode so no WSLM.

But at least now I sort of understand where that limitation comes from. Still a shame it doesn't work in autonomous mode tough.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card