cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mDNS gateway on 9800-40 with IOS-XE 17.9.5

kerstin-534
Level 1
Level 1

Has someboy mDNS gateway on 9800-40 with IOS-XE 17.9.5 get working ?

We have on Ethernet trunk to WLAN Controller, packet capture shows all necessary mDNS queries/responses from clients and printers an so on the wired side of the controller. The problem is that only one service from the wired side is shown in cache, other services from the same type and vlan not shown in cache and not shown in debug.

No SVIs configured as stated in release notes. mDNS gateway enabled on WLAN

mDNS gateway with Flexconnect APs work without any problems, also with services in other vlans.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find this informative : https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/9800-and-mdns-to-wired-network/m-p/3985637#M201580

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Does somebody know the real answer ?

Thanks for the update @kerstin-534 - I've added a note about CSCwd59093 to the thread @marce1000 linked to.

Note that this is already covered in the config guide:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-9/config-guide/b_wl_17_9_cg/m_mdns_gateway.html
- Wireless multicast link-local is enabled by default. When wireless link-local is enabled, only mDNS Bridging mode is supported. If you require mDNS Gateway for wired services, disable wireless link-local. 

works for me: "no wireless multicast link-local"

mDNS gateway wired (when controller uses multicast over multicast) works perfect with Apple Clients (eg Iphone), but Android 12 (eg Samsung Galaxy) cannot see any mDNS services anymore. Androids cannot see any mDNS services with gateway enabled, the can see all services when briding enabled.

What could be the problem with Androids and mDNS gateway ?

Can

It does not work for me (in 17.9.5). There should be some additional configuration in your setup that mine is missing... Should I be able to see mdns announcements from the wired network in a packet capture from the controller over the corresponding SVI vlan interface? 

Please, ignore my previous post...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card