Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft Radius Server vs ACS/Radius

giaaaj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any differences between Microsoft Radius Server and the Radius in ACS.

Thanks

Ali

5 Replies 5

dhickey
Level 1
Level 1

I have used both with pretty good success. The one thing I do not like about ACS is the fact that a user can only belong to one group. The documentation for ACS is pretty good and configuring ACS is pretty simple. I was able to import my AP's from a file which was nice since I had around 100 to setup/install. That was really quick and simple.

The isn't a lot of documentation around for configuring IAS with Cisco Wireless equipment, but there are hints in these forums if you search. I had IAS configured to assign VLANS to certain wireless users (actually groups) and it works fine. There were a few bugs (differences between VxWorks and IOS) that have been corrected I believe. If you run into problems make sure your AP's software is up to date.

Aside from the fact that a user can belong to only one group, I like ACS. I haven't had much time to finish my configuration as far as Wireless goes, but so far things have been pretty simple to configure.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask...

Don Hickey

Do you know if the new EAP-FAST authentication method is supported on Windows 2003 server IAS?

I have yet to find this out for sure.

Regards,

Martin.

what happen when your ACS goes down what do you use for authentication.what happen with all the user that are connect

When your ACS goes down, your users are fine until their keys expire and they need to reauthenticate. At that point, they'll just authenticate against your backup ACS =)

No Fast is not support in Win2k3. IAS Win2k3 supports TLS and PEAP. I just got PEAP going with IAS and some 1200's. I am still in the pilot phase so I am still learning. :-)

I do not know of anyone supporting FAST at this time. Cisco is just rolling out clients that will support it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card