cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility grouping desighn

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

i have two campus but cluster to each other both have saparate controller as shown above and both have saperate Mobility groups configured on the controllers

my question is

is that possible to configure LAPs for failover controller like primary and secondry controler from the same campus where the LAP is mounted but the teritry controller from the other campus that is with different mobilty group name??

also both campus have same backbone and are clustred to each other only mobility group is different than each other controllers.

many thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you mention the mobility group is indeed diferent, but your image states mobility group 2 on both images.. As Steve points out you can. But I will caution you on a few things I learned when doing exactly this ...

If a AP (for whatever reason joins the "other" moblity group) since its on a "unconnected" group you lose seemless roaming. You will also have L3 issues, becuase these 2 groups dont talk whatsoever the IP isnt hannded from one controller domain to the other controller domain.

You may want to consider putting the controllers in the same moblity DOMAIN (not group) to help with this matter. but even then you will have other things to think about. In a DOMAIN design, you will lose multicast .. (unless thats fixed on M1).

AP Fall back it good to have enable. So if a AP does fail over to the other controller domain when the orginal controller comes back the APs will join back.

Steve am I off on any of this ... Ive been rusty !

something to think about ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

If you look in the config guide you can get all the details. But here is a quick overview of the difference between a moblity group and and mobility domain.

A mobility group allows a max of 24 WLCs. These WLCs share everything and if you have APs under the same roof (very close) then you will likley have them in the same group.

A moblity domain allows you up to 72 controllers. This is a much bigger group and allows you to have multiple mobility groups. So you can have group 1,2,3,4,5, all differernt groups.

WLC in the same DOMAIN share client records ect and you can roam from one domain to another. But check the config guide cause if you use 802.1X you have to do a full AUTH when you roam between domains and if you use muticast, I recall it breaks as well when crossing domains....

i hope this helps

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is possible.  In WLC code you can specifiy the address of the WLC in the AP config.  Take a look at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00809817ca.shtml

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you mention the mobility group is indeed diferent, but your image states mobility group 2 on both images.. As Steve points out you can. But I will caution you on a few things I learned when doing exactly this ...

If a AP (for whatever reason joins the "other" moblity group) since its on a "unconnected" group you lose seemless roaming. You will also have L3 issues, becuase these 2 groups dont talk whatsoever the IP isnt hannded from one controller domain to the other controller domain.

You may want to consider putting the controllers in the same moblity DOMAIN (not group) to help with this matter. but even then you will have other things to think about. In a DOMAIN design, you will lose multicast .. (unless thats fixed on M1).

AP Fall back it good to have enable. So if a AP does fail over to the other controller domain when the orginal controller comes back the APs will join back.

Steve am I off on any of this ... Ive been rusty !

something to think about ..

that sounds about right George.  As the two mobility groups are not aware of each other, you will lose the roaming aspect.  but I would hope that the AP would only hit the other group if all the othe WLC are down.

Also keep in mind, if you have different WLAN in the different domains, the clients would not be able to connect, unless they had profiles built.

This kind of converation can get pretty deep though, as there are alot of moving parts, WLC, AP Groups, Mobility, VLAN, and failover etc.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for your Reply George

yes its two different mobility groups name as 1 and 2 but in snap above i wrote wrong

here you mentin something  moblity DOMAIN (not group) what that means exactly???

and the rest of

your answer i already agreed with that and that is prety write and i appreciate your suggestions

thank you and Stephen too soo much for your time

Farrakh

If you look in the config guide you can get all the details. But here is a quick overview of the difference between a moblity group and and mobility domain.

A mobility group allows a max of 24 WLCs. These WLCs share everything and if you have APs under the same roof (very close) then you will likley have them in the same group.

A moblity domain allows you up to 72 controllers. This is a much bigger group and allows you to have multiple mobility groups. So you can have group 1,2,3,4,5, all differernt groups.

WLC in the same DOMAIN share client records ect and you can roam from one domain to another. But check the config guide cause if you use 802.1X you have to do a full AUTH when you roam between domains and if you use muticast, I recall it breaks as well when crossing domains....

i hope this helps

btw -- if you find this helpful please kindly rate post !

Thanks