Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility to new Guest controller not handing off

Brian O'Flynn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have banged my head against the wall for the last day looking at a strange issue with my wireless controllers.  My existing setup was a Foreign Controller cluster(8.0.140) and an N+1 foreign Controller (8.01.121).  I then had two individual Guest Anchor Controllers(7.6.130) in a DMZ with 3 SSID's being plumbed out to the Guest. 

I installed a new Guest Anchor Controller (7.6.130) in a new DMZ, built the mobility tunnel between the new Guest and the foreign controllers. Removed the existing anchors from one of the SSID's and added the new Guest to test out connectivity.  My client cannot get a DHCP Address.  If I statically assign an ip address, then I get connected but it disconnects about 10 seconds later.

So I setup a new SSID, exactly the same as the one I was testing on both the foreign and the new Anchor Controller.  Create the mobility group the same way and test from my client, works no problem.  So I know my DHCP setup is ok, my new anchor controller is ok. 

I then tried to delete my old SSID and re-add it again, get the same results, client cannot connect.

When I do a debug of the client on the foreign controller, I get the following error message which looks to be where it is failing:

xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx Mobility Anchor Packet retry: Peer IP: <anchor IP>, Anchor IP: 0.0.0.0

Once I change the anchor back to the old controllers on the foreign controller SSID, my client connects straight away again.  I have tried my new guest Anchor Controller on 8.0.121 and 8.0.140 but I get the same results.

The fact that a new SSID works first time with the same settings (just a different SSID) baffles me.  Even if I change the old SSID to no authentication, it still does not connect.  I have tried with 3 different clients also just to rule out one having issues.

I have also repeated the above test on the N+1 Foreign controller (running 8.01.121) and get the same results

Anybody have any suggestions for anything else to test.  Apologies for all the different code levels, but going through a code upgrade at the moment also.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So when you setup a new SSID that is mapped to the same vlan everything works. When you put back your old controller that also maps the SSID to the same vlan it also works fine. However when you have the new anchor controller with the new added existing SSID, it doesn't work?  So when you auth with an open SSID do you see the client also on the anchor controller?  To have a static and drop every 10 seconds or so seems odd and that you can create a new SSID on both the foreign and the anchor with no issue?  What I would do is create a new WLAN using the same SSID and different profile name on both foreign and anchor. That should work since you mentioned a new SSID works fine. If your WLAN id is 1-16 then create the new one with WLAN id 17 or higher or else you will have to disable the old SSID prior to enabling the new.

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful post ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So when you setup a new SSID that is mapped to the same vlan everything works. When you put back your old controller that also maps the SSID to the same vlan it also works fine. However when you have the new anchor controller with the new added existing SSID, it doesn't work?  So when you auth with an open SSID do you see the client also on the anchor controller?  To have a static and drop every 10 seconds or so seems odd and that you can create a new SSID on both the foreign and the anchor with no issue?  What I would do is create a new WLAN using the same SSID and different profile name on both foreign and anchor. That should work since you mentioned a new SSID works fine. If your WLAN id is 1-16 then create the new one with WLAN id 17 or higher or else you will have to disable the old SSID prior to enabling the new.

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful post ***

-Scott

Hi Scott,

You wouldn't believe what it was.  Your steps above helped me to get there which is probably what you were leading me to figure out anyway with your suggestion :)

My SSID was called XXX Free WiFi on the foreign controller and the old Guest Anchor Controllers.  But for some reason when I was building the new Guest Anchor Controller, I created the SSID XXX Free Wifi instead. 

It was following your suggestion to create the same SSID with different profile name that I started getting alerts on the old anchors that I couldn't have the same SSID with the same security level, where I didn't get those messages on the new Guest Controller.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Glad you got it working!

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this.

It worked for me.

Regards

Binny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card