cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast/Broadcast Traffic in WGB (in Mesh Network)

rfuentes15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends!

Does anybody heard about an issue with WGB (with Cisco 819 or Cisco 1262) regarding to the multicast traffic, wich just can go through the Native Vlan in a mesh network (with AP 1552)? Under this scenario, the wireless network should be flat, but the customer wants a multi service network.

I have to build a mesh network with multiple Vlans and i have to pass two applications (each one in different Vlans) that use only multicast/broadcast traffic. Could it be possible?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It should work, last time I saw an issue with this it had to do with one if the mesh commands needing to be toggled.

IIRC:
config mesh multicast in-out

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I found this in the “Using Cisco Workgroup Bridges” based on “Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Lightweight Access Points Configuration Guide, Release 7.4″ :

“The broadcast forwarding toward wired WGB clients works only on the native VLAN. If additional VLANs are configured, only the native VLAN forwards broadcast traffic.”

I assume this apply for multicast as well. It seems to me that this is supported just in one direction (from client WGB to WLC).

Complementing the fact that this is supported in one direction, is when wired clients in multiple VLANS behind the WGB obtain IP by DHCP. This works fine.  But in this case the broadcast packets (DHCP Discovery, DHCP request) GO to the WLC.

For 7.3 version the guide says that multicast is supported for wired clients:

'''snip'''

• Multicast is supported for wired clients behind WGB.
  • Broadcast is supported.

'''snip'''

reference: http://tiny.cc/kxgc1w

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card