Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple anchored SSIDs

neil_titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a number of SSIDs between a C9800 foreign controller and a C9800 Anchor controller.  I can get the first one up and running but that's it, I can't get a second one to work at all.  Are there limitations on how many SSIDs can be anchored?

Ideally I would like to have two different SSIDs anchored to the same Vlan on the Anchor controller but for now getting two SSIDs anchored would be good enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why the second, and third SSIDs don't work, the Foreign and anchor have identical configurations for the WLANs and the Policies.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I thought I would post my solution so others may benefit from it in the future.  The problem is to provide a Guest WLAN with multiple QoS polices so QoS could be applied to the same advertised SSID at different locations.  A few points to note, and these are from my testing so I may be corrected by others.  QoS is applied at the policy level and the Outbound interface on the anchor is associated to a single policy.  My solution has been to create multiple WLANs and multiple policies with each policy being associated to a subinterface on the Anchor external interface.  QoS was then applied to the SSID.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you tried to remove the wlan that is anchored and working to verify that the other wlan is able to anchor? This would validate your theory if multiple wlans can be anchored or not. Also, why would you have two wlans mapped to the same vlan? Seems like one wlan for one vlan would be a better option and less complicated.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Our client would ideally like to have a single SSID advertised accross the entire network but requires different QoS profiles which are implemented locally to control bandwidth usage across WAN links. As the SSID is a guest network anchored on a WLC in the DMZ my thought was to create WLAN and Policy for each site and hopefully tunnel them to the anchor where they would share to same external interface.  I setup several SSIDs and associated Policies but only the first configured would work. The logs on the Anchor stated a WLAN/Policy name mismatch which didn't seem right as no matter what I did the error persisted. I even created a WLAN and Policy named test and still got the error. I eventually rebooted the Anchor which resolved that problem. The next issue is DHCP which is provided by a local switch and is listed as a DHCP server on the Anchor WLCs external interface, only works for the first WLAN. It doesn't work for subsequent WLANs. If I configure a second interface and DHCP setup for the second WLC  it works.

Does anyone know if I limited to map only one WLAN to each interface?

I thought I would post my solution so others may benefit from it in the future.  The problem is to provide a Guest WLAN with multiple QoS polices so QoS could be applied to the same advertised SSID at different locations.  A few points to note, and these are from my testing so I may be corrected by others.  QoS is applied at the policy level and the Outbound interface on the anchor is associated to a single policy.  My solution has been to create multiple WLANs and multiple policies with each policy being associated to a subinterface on the Anchor external interface.  QoS was then applied to the SSID.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card