Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ap manager interfaces for the large network comprising of 1000+ APs

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello All,

I have a large site coming over with 1000+ APs.

Per the design requirement I need to have LAG configured and at the same time having multiple AP manager interfaces. However these two requirement are not supported simultaneously by Cisco Code:

Per documentation:

• If link aggregation (LAG) is enabled, there can be only one AP-manager interface. But when LAG is

disabled, one or more AP-manager interfaces can be created, generally one per physical port.

◦When LAG is enabled—Supports only one AP Manager, which can either be on the management or dynamic interface with AP management.

◦When LAG is disabled—Supports one AP Manager per port. The Dynamic Interface tied to a VLAN can act as an AP Manager (when enabled).

When you enable LAG, all the ports would lose their AP Manager status and the AP management reverts back onto the Management interface.

Generally as per recommended practices, it better not to have all large number of APs as part of a single vlan. But the code limitation limits me to proceed with the recommended practices.

Could someone please suggest how would I be able to achieve the client requirement of having multiple ap manager interfaces while at the same time having the LAG configured? My primary requirement is to have atleast 4 subnets for these large number of APs rather than having a single /23 subnet.

Thanks,

Adnan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My primary requirement is to have atleast 4 subnets for these large number of APs rather than having a single /23 subnet.

This does not require to create multiple AP manager interfaces on WLC. AP management can be in any number of vlans/subnets. You simply require to have AP to WLC IP connectivity and APs  learn about WLC to go & register.

In summary, just enable LAG & make WLC management interface as AP manager interface.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

My primary requirement is to have atleast 4 subnets for these large number of APs rather than having a single /23 subnet.

This does not require to create multiple AP manager interfaces on WLC. AP management can be in any number of vlans/subnets. You simply require to have AP to WLC IP connectivity and APs  learn about WLC to go & register.

In summary, just enable LAG & make WLC management interface as AP manager interface.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Years ago there would be multiple ap managers but today one is only needed.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin