Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Mandatory data rates question

Clem58
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I'm wondering if when you set multiple mandatory data rates, example 3, that means a client MUST support these 3 data rates or it has to support one among the 3 mandatory data rates ?

Example, most of our rf profiles 5Ghz Data Rates are configured like this, it's default one (WLC 5520).

Capture.PNG

Does that mean a 5ghz wifi client must support 6, 12 ad 24Mbps to be able to connect to the AP ? I know the highest mandatory Data Rates is the one used for multicast, but as we use flexconnect mode I think this is not necessary.

If the AP has more than 30 clients connected without a near AP to balance them, does these mandatory Data Rates settings could impact their connections ? Denied or so on ?

For VOIP phones environnement, the data rates recommended is only 12mbps mandatory and above on supported, what is the difference with the default ones and why this configuration ?

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You should not have to have more than two max. The lowest mandatory is what the client device must be able to negotiate in order to associate. The highest mandatory rate is also what multicast will prefer, however, it will also allow device to negotiate at a lower rate. So for example, 54mbps mandatory along with 24mbps is a good start if you have good density. I have used higher lower mandatory rates in environments for better roaming.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Many thanks Scott for your answer, that means 12 mbps only for mandatory data rates is ok in a VOIP implementation perspective (coexist with office wifi clients) ? In a flexconnect env.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card