cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My AP keeps rebooting due to MEMORY FULL error.

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have an access point, 350 w/ Firmware 12.02T1. I am having problems with it rebooting several times a day due to an error saying the memory is full. The error in syslog is FATAL): Rebooting System due to Out Of Memory

Anyone know what is going on with this problem? Thanks in advance.

David Beaver / Consultant

Dimension Data / North America

5 Replies 5

amitubale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello David,

Even we have the above problem with many of our APs. I have asked the question previosly and was suggested to open a TAC request.

Well the thing you can do is finds out

1) keep checking the number of clients connecting the AP ( I use SNMP)

2) try letting the AP select an apropiate channel( on the Radio Adv setup page)

3) Are there any equipment causing radio interference near the AP.

We have also been having a similar problem. Several APs are reporting "MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 712 bytes failed from 0xFA428, alignment 0".

Another AP was having memory problems, rebooted, and then would not reboot again. The AP would not come back, and we had to replace it.

In this area, we have very low usage of the wireless network.

I am not sure how radio interference near the AP would effect its ability to access a large enough block of memory to function.

Does anyone have any other ideas on this?

Thanks!

APs running IOS 12.2(13)JA.

Our 1100's occasionally crash with the MALLOCFAIL message as well. We had one that was doing it weekly. I found that there were a few laptops that were misconfigured and had both their LAN and WLAN connections active at the same time.

One thing I have found is that if both connections are active at the same time, the PC will continually associate and disassociate. It seemed that after enough associations/dissasociations, the AP would run out of memory and need to be rebooted. Once I reconfigured the offending laptops, the AP stopped crashing.

cneville
Level 1
Level 1

Check your network for a virus. I had 2 workstations with a virus that was bringing down a 1200 and a cisco 1720 every few minutes.

Same problem here, Blaster virus was infected on one of our pc's which ended up crashing a random AP every hour and a half.

I would do a virus check.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card