cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

optimizing signal strength and quality with cisco aironet pci client adapte

waleadeyemi
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently executing a project for one of our clients using Cisco aironet series. We have problems with the performances of the Aironet 340 PCI wireless cards. Although the signal strength is high (70 – 90%), the signal quality has been poor (between 3 to 4%) even when both the access point and the PC are in the same location. The access point we are using is Aironet 340 with an indoor-outdoor 3dB antenna, while on the PCI card we are using a single 2.2 dBi dipole antenna. This problem does not apply however to notebooks Aironet 340 PC card (PCMCIA). Here the signal quality is consistently above 80% when located beside the PC with the problem.

We have tried upgrading the firmware on the access point and the PCI card. We have also updated the driver on one of the PCI cards but there has been no improvement. The version changes are as follows:

Previous version Current version

Access point system firmware version 10.13 11.06

Access point radio firmware version 10.98 4.23

PCI card (win2000) driver 4.13 4.23

Our experience has been that the connection with the access points has been unreliable. What can we do to resolve the problem?

6 Replies 6

p.krane
Level 3
Level 3

Look for interference on the 2.4GHz band (i.e. video senders and cordless phones). You can hard set the frequency ranges on some of these devices to eliminate interference with the wireless network. You might need help from Cisco's tac on this one.

russ
Level 1
Level 1

I too have had the same problems. The card can be less than a meter from the Access point and I have tried ALL channels.

jkemery
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you are having an interference problem. Try different channels, ie. spectrum analysis, or look for multi-path issues. Try using diversity if you can, likewise check the diversity setting on your AP's and play with the power settings on the radios, AP's and cards alike. Hope that helps.

rsantillo
Level 1
Level 1

I had this same problem. If you have not yet resolved this, make sure you are using the Aironet Client Utility version 4.14.003. Go to the "Help" - "about arionet client utility" menu to check it because even this later version says version 4.10 on the main screen. Using version 4.14.003 solved my problem.

groceb
Level 1
Level 1

It's the link testing software. I had the same problem, and was told by Cisco TAC that it's the site survey software. It's really oK, but the software "tells" you it's bad.

Yes you are right. We found out it's the software. We upgraded it and the readings improved. Thanks a lot everyone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card