Views
Helpful
Replies

Over the DS implement

HBKming
Level 1
Level 1

hi Sir, 

I am studying the fast roaming , and trying to build a network to accomplish over-the-ds roaming. 

as my study , if I want to build a network to accomplish over-the-ds , I have to have :

1. WLC(Lan controller)

2. 2 or more AP , at least AP1, AP2

3. a client . 

my question is ,

A : set the check box "over-the-ds" on WLC ?

or AP1,AP2 has to set the "over-the-ds " as well ?

B : as the network , WLC/AP1/AP2/Client , all of device has to support over-the-ds ? or just only WLC implement Over-the-DS is suffcient ?

reference page :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/5700/software/release/ios_xe_33/11rkw_DeploymentGuide/b_802point11rkw_deployment_guide_cisco_ios_xe_release33/b_802point11rkw_deployment_guide_cisco_ios_xe_release33_chapter_01.html#...

thank you . 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes client should support FT along with enabling it on the WLC under WLAN/SSID settings.  

Please refer the  80211r BSS Fast Transition Deployment Guide for required configuration steps. Make sure to go through the Message exchanges and Restrictions section.

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Note that not all clients can support "over-the-ds" fast roaming , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

A : set the check box "over-the-ds" on WLC ? or AP1,AP2 has to set the "over-the-ds " as well ?

Assuming you have clients which support FT, you have to enable over-the-DS under WLC --> WLAN/SSID Config --> Layer 2 Security 

B : as the network , WLC/AP1/AP2/Client , all of device has to support over-the-ds ? or just only WLC implement Over-the-DS is suffcient 

The client has to support. 

Refer this blog post which has good explanation of 802.11r over-the-DS process flow.

https://mrncciew.com/tag/802-11r-over-the-ds/

Jagan Chowdam

thank you Jagan

as your answer,

can I say that client support FT(11r) is suffcient , right ?AP1/AP2 also support 11r .

and the WLC must to be check "over the ds" . 

Yes client should support FT along with enabling it on the WLC under WLAN/SSID settings.  

Please refer the  80211r BSS Fast Transition Deployment Guide for required configuration steps. Make sure to go through the Message exchanges and Restrictions section.

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

Very Thank you for your answer  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card