cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

peap client timeout

eladro
Level 1
Level 1

We implement PEAP and it takes quit a long time for clients to complete authentication. from the debug: "debug dot11 aaa authenticator state−machine". I get: " dot11_auth_dot1x_run_rfsm: Executing Action(CLIENT_WAIT,TIMEOUT)". The default timeout is 30 seconds, in Cisco documents it is stated that this value can be changed. How can I change it to say 120 seconds, I was unable to do it!!!

Thanks……

2 Replies 2

kecampbe
Level 1
Level 1

The debug message you referenced is an indication that the client is not responding. In my experience, if the client doesn't respond in 30 seconds, it probably isn't going to respond at all. The only exception that I've seen is when the client is waiting for user input (username/password).

Usually this type of issue is a driver, firmware or operating system issue. I usually check for updated drivers, and assuming that you are running a Windows OS, check for hotfixes or other patches.

If you want to change this parameter, I believe that it actually needs to be set in your RADIUS server. There is a parameter that can be set in IOS but that is only used if the server does not provide a timeout attribute.

Kent.

It is true most of the times I experience this problem with winxp SP-2, that have some latency with the response time. Any way I would like to increase the client timeout which according to Cisco is done locally on the AP…..can you help?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card