Helpful
Replies

PI 3.8 Upgrade question

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey all

The prime 3.8 release notes have this little nugget in them:

If your existing Prime Infrastructure is 3.6.x or 3.7.x, and your upgrade path contains 3.4.x or earlier versions, then you cannot in-line upgrade that server to Prime Infrastructure 3.8 due to security vulnerabilities in the underlying Red Hat 6 installation. You will need to take a backup of the Prime Infrastructure 3.6.x or 3.7.x server, deploy a fresh Prime Infrastructure 3.8 server, and restore that backup into the Prime Infrastructure 3.8 server.

Source: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-8/release/notes/bk_Cisco_Prime_Infrastructure_3_8_0_Release_Notes.html

I really don't remember when I last did a fresh installation of my PI. Do you happen to know if there is some root shell command to see if my upgrade path contained a 3.4 or earlier version?

I hate reinstallation, as that takes considerably more steps than an upgrade.

Thanks

Patrick

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Prime 3.8 inline upgrade does not work. Pls do the fresh installation if you are planning to go to 3.8.

It failed my test prime 3.7 upgrades and had to do a fresh installation to fix it. Here is some proof many had the same issue

https://twitter.com/WiFision/status/1243464518962950144 

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The topic has been discussed before, and I would consider it of lesser importance, albeit 3.4 having being used or not, I do recommend the fresh install for 3.8 anyway to be on the safe side and or to no longer carry on other security issues from other Red Hat versions, if any.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Prime 3.8 inline upgrade does not work. Pls do the fresh installation if you are planning to go to 3.8.

It failed my test prime 3.7 upgrades and had to do a fresh installation to fix it. Here is some proof many had the same issue

https://twitter.com/WiFision/status/1243464518962950144 

HTH

Rasika

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The topic has been discussed before, and I would consider it of lesser importance, albeit 3.4 having being used or not, I do recommend the fresh install for 3.8 anyway to be on the safe side and or to no longer carry on other security issues from other Red Hat versions, if any.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you Rasika and Marce. In that case I'll do the long road with the fresh installation.

Hi Marce and Rasika, I have prime 3.4 on VM and require ver 3.8 for support of ver 8.10 for cisco 9130 WAPs.. what is the best options to achieve Ver3.8 with no impact or less impact or can have ver3.4 for some time parallel with Ver3.8, Will wait for your valuable suggestion.

My preference is always to stand up a new instance and not upgrade. That is the safest way and most reliable. I do this all the time.. upgrades don’t work out well all the time.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

There are two paths you can do that I know of:

- Setup a new machine, add again all devices and then import the maps from the old machine. Downside to this, you have to do all settings again. Upside to this, it's the most stable variant.

- Upgrade to 3.6 with latest updates/patches, create an application backup, setup a new 3.8 machine and import the backup after the initial settings

One thing to know, restoring a backup typically takes hours, depending on your customizations to Prime, you're actually faster simply setting up a new machine and configure your settings again.

Please note, Prime 3.9 has just been released, with lots of preparation tools for DNA center and other new features.

Release notes 3.9: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-9/release/notes/bk_Cisco_Prime_Infrastructure_3_9_0_Release_Notes.html

Hi Patoberli, Thanks for your response, If I choose 1st option, 

Does PI3.8 support import of maps from 3.4Ver? and other suggestions I need to take care?

Yes it is supported. That is why it’s easier to just stand up a new instance. It takes like 30 minutes for that and then you upload the devices then the maps.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card